V-6 COOLANT PIPE DRAIN PLUGS by RPYRAZOO
Started on: 02-08-2019 05:11 PM
Replies: 13 (918 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 03-12-2021 09:23 AM
RPYRAZOO

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2019 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RPYRAZOOClick Here to visit RPYRAZOO's HomePageSend a Private Message to RPYRAZOOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't believe my '87 GT's rocker panel coolant pipes have ever been properly drained while changing coolant fluid, at least I've never done it and now is the time. My situation is how much trouble is it to remove the drain plugs assuming they have never been removed and if they are really stuck what can I do so they can be removed.
Thanks again for all the help.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2019 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If they are froze in place, don’t strip the hex head nut.

You can drain the pipes by removing the rubber hoses at each end and blowing out what doesn’t drain by gravity with air. Or, drain the pipes as above, heat the plug to free it, then replace the plug with a little antisieze so it’s easier to remove the next time.

Most will just pull the hoses to drain most of the antifreeze out of the pipes and move on with the refill. You could also flush the pipes with hose water while doing it if it makes you feel better. Kinda a messy job however you do it.

[This message has been edited by Kevin87FieroGT (edited 02-08-2019).]

fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2019 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check Rodney's site, he has a helpful tool for this. Plus replacement plugs.

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2019 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would weld a hex nut to the plug to get a good grip on it.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2019 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Once I got mine out, I installed brass ones with anti-seize.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

RPYRAZOO

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2019 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RPYRAZOOClick Here to visit RPYRAZOO's HomePageSend a Private Message to RPYRAZOOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All great ideas, problem solved. Thanks again guys.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2019 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got a car up on the lift and will do that job on Monday. Owner already stripped out the hex plugs. Need to drain system, drill holes and use a ez out. Hopefully it will work smoothly. Can't see welding anything to those plugs as they are flush to the pipes

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 02-09-2019).]

Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2019 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tried to get mine undone for about 10 seconds and realized it was not going to turn out well. Just left it.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2019 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
heat them up, drown with PB blaster, remove
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2019 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

heat them up, drown with PB blaster, remove

Heat is always in the plan , PB is regularly used. Just got to be careful with the torch and we'll probably use a fine point tip. We shall see tomorrow.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2019 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Heat is always in the plan , PB is regularly used. Just got to be careful with the torch and we'll probably use a fine point tip. We shall see tomorrow.

Heat and cold shock can break the rust loose.
I used a Freeze Off penetrant to break mine loose on my Indy's pipes.
https://www.amazon.com/CRC-...etrant/dp/B07DT1SGCY
PFF
System Bot
oneinch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2021 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oneinchSend a Private Message to oneinchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recommend replacing these internal hex plugs with external hex plugs. These are available from many sources. I use McMaster-Carr. I got SS external hex plugs that take a 7/16" wrench. A better way to go IMO.

------------------
Stanton
'88 Formula, red on gray

reinhart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2021 06:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by oneinch:

I recommend replacing these internal hex plugs with external hex plugs. These are available from many sources. I use McMaster-Carr. I got SS external hex plugs that take a 7/16" wrench. A better way to go IMO.

I sounds good on paper but I'd be a little hesitant with them being the lowest point of the car that it would be easy for them to catch on road debris and damage the pipes or ??

Personally I just keep the factory ones in and never had a reason to remove the plugs. I drain the coolant in the front or rear with a hose and depending on positioning in the driveway can keep a lot of the coolant in the car. Draining at the pipes almost guarantees full coolant draining which is not usually desired.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2021 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I removed those drain plugs by applying heat, then drilling and using an easy out stud remover. I replaced them with Brass 1/8" NPT hex plugs. Tip: if you do replace them with new plugs use sealant on the threads.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock