Help! Rodney Getrag Shifter Rebuild Kit by AndrewTHG
Started on: 02-05-2019 07:16 PM
Replies: 3 (156 views)
Last post by: AndrewTHG on 02-06-2019 08:34 PM
AndrewTHG

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2019 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AndrewTHGSend a Private Message to AndrewTHGEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Okay, so I am in the process of disassembling my entire dash so that I can pull my shifter out and install Rodney's Getrag shifter rebuild kit. Numerous curse words and broken Christmas tree clips later, and I feel like I am no closer to getting it out. I've got the radio out, top gauge cluster off, window switches undone, shifter boot and ashtray stack out, etc. Before I break my entire center console skeleton trudging forward, I figured I would consult the gurus.

First, does the entire skeleton actually need pulled out? There are no shortcuts??

Second, if the entire skeleton needs to come out, how the heck do I get the HVAC controls out? I unplugged the large connector, but the smaller one on the right side and the slider controls are still stuck.

Third, are there replacement Christmas tree clips out there? 2/3 have bit the dust so far, and I expect the fate of the others is not good.

Thanks guys for any help!

IP: Logged

viperine

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2019 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineClick Here to Email viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I would like to think that if you removed the shifter lever by undoing the c-clips, as well as the cables pushed aside, that it could be wiggled out easier.

Been too long since I stared down that hole to see how much the console skeleton prohibits what this process entails. But since you are doing the rebuild, it's not a loss to try.

Crasian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2019 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CrasianClick Here to Email CrasianSend a Private Message to CrasianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Skeleton must come off if you want to avoid damaging it to get shifter out, simply no room. I have done this on both of my GT’s, RD’s kit is fantastic!! Those X-mas tree clips you refer to are available at most part stores, no biggie there. And the heater controls I can’t remember, I’m old, others will chime in and help..

AndrewTHG

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2019 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AndrewTHGSend a Private Message to AndrewTHGEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well all - I got it. Thanks for the input. That was quite the ordeal, and I am hoping to put together a write up at some point to document how to do it and the tips and tricks to help others in the future. Biggest sticking points were the hard to access clip for the AC controls connector in the rear, and not realizing I had to remove that bronze colored cross piece that is towards the front because something at the bottom of the skeleton was interfering with pulling it out.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock