Average cost of a 3800 swap? by shemdogg
Started on: 02-02-2019 09:56 PM
Replies: 17 (2351 views)
Last post by: weaselbeak on 02-22-2019 09:12 PM
shemdogg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2019 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
An 88 w a 3800sc is on cl for 2k. Doest use it says its good to go. Thinking about getting it and putting that
motor in my kit car and put the 2.8 in the fiero and sell it cheap. Possible? ideas? advice?

shem
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2019 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Shem, how's it going,

A swap is kinda hard to to price out because of the countless options that you can do. But if you did it yourself, I guess you could do it for a couple thousand? BUT to make it California smog legal, you can triple that cost.
liv4God

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2019 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've heard that to be smog legal in CA the 3800 needs to be mated to an auto. That one on CL is on a manual, so I wonder if he passed smog with it or if that's one of the reasons for the low price. If its a well done swap and smogable then its a good deal. I don't think you could swap it for much less if not more. But if it was poorly done, then stay away! That happened to me with a poorly done v8 swap. Spent way more to fix it up right than if I had just started from scratch.

It would be pretty easy to swap over to your f40 replica and you would get the other 88 suspension bits as a plus.
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2019 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies fellas. Ive read on a few threads the avg is around 4-5k plus labor. Think im gonna go for it, gotta call the guy and get some info. Dont wanna put my kit on the 88 cuz id hafta cut the roof of another good fiero. Can I swap the 88 suspension onto my 86? What do I ask for regarding the swap?

Thanks
Shem
Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2019 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I traded a couple of emails with him yesterday...

------------------------------

Me...

Hello,

About your Fiero GT...

Is it on Non-Op or is registration overdue?

Is the 3800 engine swap a legal California swap approved by the state?

Has it ever been registered in California and had a smog check with the 3800 engine swap?

----------------------------

His response...

Good afternoon,

Reg is overdue.

Swap is legal and has the CARB sticker in be proper location.

It’s been smogged in the state, but I don’t remember if I ever took it in for that. It was mainly a project car for me and most of my upgrades had nothing to do with the engine, which was already swapped before I purchased it.

Full disclosure, it needs paint badly, the more I look at that picture...well...it’s not accurately representing that the car needs paint.

If you need any other info please let me know.

Thanks,
Matt

---------------------------------

I am assuming its been years since last registration so DMV will probably run $600 -$700.

I am currently waiting for his response to a few more questions and some more pictures.

Ron

[This message has been edited by Rsvl-Rider (edited 02-03-2019).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2019 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cost of a 3800SC swap? Its an older engine and prices can vary. When I did my swap 10 years ago the engine and transmission were virtually brand new. It cost me $2800 for that powertrain. With plug wiring, harness work trans oil, cooling, fuel lines, mounts/brackets, axles, CAI, LS1 MAF, N*TB, SS intercooler, 3.4" pulley, a custom exhaust and tuning software I probably have $6K in it and that's a DIY job w a P/T helper fr two days. Some guys claimed to have done this swap for $2K while some turnkey swaps have gone for as much as $10-$12K . The mileage on the powertrain will have a lot to do with the cost. .
If I were to do this swap all over again I would now use the 3.6L LFX engine. Its lighter, more efficient, more powerful and an up to date platform. A couple of guys on this forum are working on this newer Fiero swap.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2019 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Shem, with proper upper strut mounts the 88 cradle can be used in an earlier spaceframe.
If the swap is set up to plug in to the C-500, C-203 and BJT, you should be able to swap cradles and plug it in, fab up fuel lines, induction and exhaust and roll with it.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2019 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You may also want to find out if the engine is a Series I, II, or III. Not much available for the Series I wrt performance parts and that specific swap is not worth it in my opinion. I do have 3800 SC Series II and III swaps and like them a lot.

Nelson
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2019 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i wonder if wcf did this. for 2k that exhaust is worth that with the carb sticker. probably s2.
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2019 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rsvl-Rider:
Reg is overdue.

Swap is legal and has the CARB sticker in be proper location.

It’s been smogged in the state, but I don’t remember if I ever took it in for that. It was mainly a project car for me and most of my upgrades had nothing to do with the engine, which was already swapped before I purchased it.

In a recent thread we reviewed possibilities to get a 3800SC manual trans CARB approved and concluded it was nearly impossible and totally dependent on finding a Referee that would work with you on the exhaust requirements. Not saying it is 100% impossible. If I were you I would get the VIN and the CARB # then call DMV and CARB to confirm that status is correct. Be aware the 'reg is overdue' potentially means Years of fees are due, not just current.

John
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2019 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guys not writing me back, maybe somebody swiped it.

shem
PFF
System Bot
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2019 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmmmn, maybe just another CL scam? I'd sure like to see a picture of the swap if he does get back to you.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2019 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by shemdogg:

Guys not writing me back, maybe somebody swiped it.

shem

I would not buy it as is. He would have to get a current smog check done before I would touch it. A manual transmission and dodgy statements about the certification and registration are dead give aways. The car is bound for the wrecking yard or out of State sell before it ever sees a legal registered manual transmission swap. BUT, could be an SB500?.
Threedog

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2019 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you can weld and do most of the stuff yourself, the cost could easily be around 1,000.

If you can't weld or solder but can work on the car yourself(install a trans/engine, you have a hoist, etc) and you wanna do it properly it comes out to between 2-3k depending on what you want to do.
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2019 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the new laws say that they just do a sniffer and fuel system pressure test on what they consider "classic cars" 35years or older, classic car insurance, and ..... so you could now possible get away with a manual 3800 transmission just cannot daily drive it in California.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2019 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mmeyer86gt/gtp:

the new laws say that they just do a sniffer and fuel system pressure test on what they consider "classic cars" 35years or older, classic car insurance, and ..... so you could now possible get away with a manual 3800 transmission just cannot daily drive it in California.

I am not sure about that? If what you say is true, then the law would allow you to remove emissions equipment. I would be amazed if that were the case. Even classic cars must retain original emissions equipment regardless of smog check.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2019 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rickady88GT

10648 posts
Member since Dec 2002

Originally posted by Threedog:

If you can weld and do most of the stuff yourself, the cost could easily be around 1,000.

If you can't weld or solder but can work on the car yourself(install a trans/engine, you have a hoist, etc) and you wanna do it properly it comes out to between 2-3k depending on what you want to do.

This may be true, but doing the swap and getting it passed an engine swap certification would be extremely difficult for this price. The newer the drive train, the more complex the swap, for inpart, the needed components required to satisfy the smog ref.
weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2019 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is why I like Iowa. We do whatever we want, at least for now.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock