Upgrading from 15 inch wheels to 16? by Madathlon
Started on: 02-02-2019 07:32 PM
Replies: 3 (320 views)
Last post by: cvxjet on 02-02-2019 09:20 PM
Madathlon

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2019 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadathlonSend a Private Message to MadathlonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I was wondering if I could put 16s on my 1987 gt without modding the suspension and what size tires would best fit with 16s

------------------
Mark Silva
1987 GT 2.8 V6 5 Speed manual
"The Road trip called life starts with a flat tire and a missing jack"

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2019 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As you go up in wheel size, the tire profile has to down in number. To find the correct fit you can go on The Tire Rack and put your car in to their tire calculator. I think you can go up to 17" and still keep close to the stock diameter.

I have 16" on my car but I would recommend going to 17" wheels because even at 16" you are getting very limited in tire selection.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2019 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, you can run 16s w/o much issue on an otherwise stock Fiero, even 17s and 18s if you follow a few of rules.

1. Keep the section width the same as stock (205,215 or 225).

2. Reduce the profile by 5 for every 1" of wheel diameter increase. So if you run 60 series tires on 15's, run 55 series on 16, 50 on 17 and 45 on 18. It is best to look up the specs for your current tire sizes to get the diameter of the tire and/or rotations per mile. You want your new 16" tires to have the same diameter/rotations per mile to keep your speedo accurate.

3. Keep the offset of the wheels as close to stock as possible.

When you start changing the width, offset and section width it is easy to run into clearance issues, but there are lots of options that do fit. Going to coilover in the rear increases the combinations that will fit.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 02-02-2019).]

cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2019 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I converted my 85 SE V6 to 15s back in 87, then approx' 12 years ago I converted to 16 x 7s..........I found that 2 sizes of 16" tires were used on a lot of popular cars, so the companies still produce good tires; I run 205/55x16s up front and 225/55x16s in back...The rears are a bit larger than stock...But my Getrag 5spd with GT speedo sender is exactly accurate.....

Sadly, the VOXX Monza wheels (which are a very good looking wheel similar to the Fiero GT wheels) are not produced anymore....Surprisingly, they turned out to be only 13.5 lbs each...When I swapped them in, I lost 6 lbs on each front corner and 3 off of each rear (I was running 215/60-15s originally up front)....Made a huge difference in the way the car rode and handled....Keep the weight down- it is worth it! (The tires I recommend are General G-Max AS-05s....They are substantially lighter than other competing tires and perform very well.....Check out their comparison test on Tire rack.)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock