can a 88 2.8 prom run 85 injectors? by cvxjet
Started on: 02-01-2019 09:55 PM
Replies: 5 (146 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 02-02-2019 09:46 PM
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2019 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 1985 SE V6 that I have converted to 3.4 F-body....Picked up a 88 computer with prom......Will the 88 prom run early injectors?

My engine has never been completely happy....at full throttle it goes really well, but in stop and go it drives me batty with it's hair-trigger throttle....jerk forward, then jerk back. I would like to swap in the Prom (I also have the whole computer which I can install if necessary) and see if that helps, then maybe install the F-body injectors and see what that does...(I know the 85 prom will not properly run the F-body injectors)

Any info would be great! (What size hammer should I use to intimidate the car into working better?....(I have a full set of hammers!)
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2019 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What transmission? Prom needs to match that to run correctly. I have seen no reports about problems with a Fiero computer running any Fiero injectors.
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2019 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The one I have at the moment is the Automatic 88 Prom and I have a manual transmission. The reason I am asking this is that while my 85 Prom would not properly run the F-body 3.4 injectors, I have read numerous posts stating that the 88 prom WILL run those later style injectors......Which led me to wonder; Do I need to swap both prom & injectors at the same time....or can I do a step-by-step process......(I am working on porting an upper intake....have to get my friend to weld in the tubular piece at the (Now cut-out) pinch-point.

I guess the other way to ask the question is; Do the 88 Proms have the ability to run both the older style injectors and the more modern injectors that cars in the 90s used? Or, was there any difference in the injectors from 1985-87 vs 1988?
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2019 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2019 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 85 Fiero V6 ECM is different from the 86-88 units. The 85's are are not interchangeable with the 86-88 ECMs and vice versa . ECM's have manual and auto prom chip versions. They are similar programs with exception of the shift light control (stick) and for the TCC engagement (auto).
To my knowledge both the 85 and 86-up ECMs put out the same injector signal. If you upsize injectors then the base pulse width constant and the fuel tables must be altered for proper performance. Its not a plug and play situation.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2019 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To clarify... An 85 ECM must use an 85 PROM. 86-88 ECMs are essentially the same, to one another. An 86-88 ECM can (and must) use an 86-88 PROM. There was no magic in the 88 PROM that made it work better with the 3.4 injectors. The 3.4 injectors are disk type, while the Fiero injectors are pintle type. There are quite a few threads about the compatibility issues.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock