Type of Bolts for 88 Front hub by cvxjet
Started on: 01-30-2019 12:35 PM
Replies: 8 (157 views)
Last post by: fierogt28 on 01-30-2019 09:35 PM
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2019 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a chance to pick up some 88 front hubs in the JY for my club; I already removed the calipers but the front discs would not come off....So I can go down today with some PB Blaster and a crowbar and gain access.......It would be nice to have the correct socket for the bolts that hold the hub on the spindle.

What type of bolts are they? Are they a 18-20 MM or are they a big Torx like the Brake calipers?

Thanks for any help...(Yes I tried to look it up online......No pics/info found)
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2019 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Many hub bolts are Class 10.5 or harder. Standard bolts will fit but can fail w/o warning if they don't strip when installed.
I don't have 88 data and 22P doesn't say, not even just size for this.

88 Fiero FSM Torque spec...
Three bolts attaching hub and bearing assembly. Torque to 260 N-m (220 lb. ft.) on 3C-5
bolt, hub to knuckle is 220ftlb on 3C-10
If that's right info... so I'm guess is 10.5 or harder.
Much tighter then rear hubs only get Tighten to three hub and bearing bolts to 85 N.m (62 lb. ft.)
Both specs are clean dry threads.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2019 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 88 front hubs are held on with three M12x1.75 bolts with large torx head (I think the same size as the brake caliper).
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2019 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info....I'll go try and get 'em....I have that Torx-55....So I ready!
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2019 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cvxjet

3644 posts
Member since May 2010
Well....I got the 2 hubs........They don't spin completely freely......Seem to have just a bit of effort to turn....smooth tho.....Should they just spin easy?
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2019 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, Assuming nothing hitting the hub... or rotor/wheel if on the car... Won't spin = bad.
Rotor can drag from pads or dirt shield so you need to check if the rotors are on.

GM and most other hubs are not "pre loaded" in the bearings same as Fiero and other wheel bearings as covered in my Cave, Front Bearings.

IOW should spin fairly easily w/o binding at any spot. And w/ the wheel on, the wheel should have a bit play because bearing setup.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2019 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There should be a slight resistance to spinning them as you move the grease around and the drag from the seal. The spinning motion should be slippery smooth.

If they spin freely, the grease is dried out and not doing anything. If there is any roughness, binding, or looseness, they are bad.
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2019 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

There should be a slight resistance to spinning them as you move the grease around and the drag from the seal. The spinning motion should be slippery smooth.

If they spin freely, the grease is dried out and not doing anything. If there is any roughness, binding, or looseness, they are bad.

Perfect explaination...

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

[This message has been edited by fierogt28 (edited 01-30-2019).]

fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2019 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierogt28

2937 posts
Member since Feb 2005

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Perfect explanation...

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock