Radiator fan on all the time... by CSM842M4
Started on: 01-28-2019 10:11 PM
Replies: 3 (126 views)
Last post by: Blacktree on 01-30-2019 02:34 PM
CSM842M4

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2019 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CSM842M4Send a Private Message to CSM842M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's always going to be something with my wife's car. The radiator cooling fan has started making noise like it's about to cash in, probably because it was wired to run anytime the ignition switch is on by a previous owner. I know its possible to wire around the low-power resistor, and I wouldn't mind doing that, but I would need to know the rewiring plan and which/where is the fan relay and the fan switch. Is the fan relay one of the four under the left side of the rear devious, or isthe it under the front "hood"? I think I remember that the fan switch is the single-wire one with the "mushroom cap" where the connector plugs in, but I'd like to be sure. Any/all input is greatly appreciated. TIA - Chris
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2019 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fan making noise then bypass the resister makes fan run fast and die faster.
Noise can be fan hitting whatever or motor is dying.

Relay is in front of Left HL assem.
Where PO F'd up the wiring is any ones guess.

See my Cave, Rad Fan

Worse... many fools run fan that hides real problems in the coolant plumbing. Read the rest of section in the cave.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

CSM842M4

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2019 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CSM842M4Send a Private Message to CSM842M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, as always, Ogre. Hope to have an opportunity (and warmer weather) to look at it this weekend. Updates to follow...
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2019 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, the fan switch has a single wire and a "mushroom" cap. The wire is dark green, with a white stripe. If you ground that wire, the relay should click. As mentioned above, the fan relay is under the driver side headlamp assembly. It's the one relay that looks different from the rest, all the wires are lined up in a row.

As far as wiring hacks are concerned, there's no telling how the PO hacked it. But it sounds like they ran a jumper wire from ignition power to the fan power. You can check the wiring to the fan motor, to see if anything was added in. Check the wiring for the fan relay, too. Wiring hacks are usually, well, hacks. So it shouldn't be difficult to spot.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock