my 87/88 headlamp module fix by donuteater306
Started on: 01-23-2019 01:06 AM
Replies: 2 (154 views)
Last post by: theogre on 01-23-2019 08:21 PM
donuteater306

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2019 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For a few years i'd been having an intermittent issue where my headlights wouldn't pop up. Naturally it started happening more often and my usual fix of kicking the LF tire stopped working Starting last week they wouldn't go up at all. They'd motor down, but not up.

I ordered a new relay and planned to replace it. Yesterday I took the module apart and realized that I bought the wrong relay However, the original relay contacts actually looked great. I looked around the circuit board and checked for loose connections, everything looked ok. I plugged the circuit board in and urned on the headlights. No click for up. But if i raised them manually, they'd motor down when turned off.

I decided to float the solder at every connection meaning, I used the soldering gun to re-heat the existing solder to let it flow and re-set. Seems to have done the trick...they're going up and down normally. Hopefully that's all it needed.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2019 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doesn't surprise me at all. GM electronics (especially Delco radios) are known for "fractured" solder joints.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 01-24-2019).]

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2019 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any micro crack can cause the module to think you have motor problems etc. Like Big I/O pins can be a problem because need more heat and often had bigger gap too to solder them at the factory. Sim to Chime Unit under the dash making bogus chimes.
DIY soldering can help but you should use flux even for reflow work. Flux pens are easy to find @ amazon ebay etc.
Don't use Lead Free solders to fix any old boards.

Clean/fix front grounds to car near HL lifts. G102 and G102 are often in crappy condition and rad fad and most everything in front goes thru them. Even HL bulbs and can be "dim" w/ ground problems.

But Likely is problems w/ motors too.
Even ignoring broken parts, many get worn/dirty bearings in them then bind and won't turn, mostly to open, and "trip" the module "load sensing" function.
See my Cave, Gen 2 HL Motor

can clean etc the motor(s) but often fail again. More so when using 3rd party "fixes" like Delrin pins/dowels.
Get Cardone motors w/ a warranty. AZ I think is Cardone under store brand w/ same warranty honored nationwide.
These are a little faster then old motors too.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock