Vacuum line replacement by Mavrick1798
Started on: 01-19-2019 02:51 PM
Replies: 10 (720 views)
Last post by: Bluefierogt on 02-01-2019 04:45 PM
Mavrick1798

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2019 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mavrick1798Send a Private Message to Mavrick1798Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey everyone, I have a few vacuum lines that have broken now and need to replace them. I have seen the metal line replacement kit but don't want to spend that money right now. My question is would I be able to use full rubber vacuum lines as replacement? Its the V6 model btw
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2019 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's not worth the trouble. Those lines need to fit in some tight spaces, and rubber hose will either be too fat or it will collapse on you.
tazome

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2019 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tazomeSend a Private Message to tazomeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love the stainless steal lines, i was lucly to find some at a pick u pull that sombody put on an then it got rear ended bad for 11 dollars. you never know what your going to find out ther, you could make some yourself its not that hard , i did it before i found the stainless steal ones
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2019 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get Rodney's, his are SS and I have them on one of my 88GTs.

If ever my other original 88GT gives me vacuum line problems, I'm getting his; no question.

Plus the SS gives a nice finishing touch.

[This message has been edited by fierogt28 (edited 01-20-2019).]

fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2019 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierogt28

2937 posts
Member since Feb 2005

[This message has been edited by fierogt28 (edited 01-20-2019).]

steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2019 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can patch the lines using heat shrink. I did the SS lines on mine about this time last year. Be aware that you do have to remove the upper manifold and as I found out the hard way everything that is brittle will break and bolts will snap.
Bluefierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2019 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BluefierogtSend a Private Message to BluefierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mavrick1798:

Hey everyone, I have a few vacuum lines that have broken now and need to replace them. I have seen the metal line replacement kit but don't want to spend that money right now. My question is would I be able to use full rubber vacuum lines as replacement? Its the V6 model btw

I also didnt want to spend the money for the RD'S. As much as im sure they're worth the money, i bent some of my own up out of brake line as it was a cheap alternative for hard lines. They turned out really nice.
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2019 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The lines are routed in roundabout ways apparently to keep things looking clean and neat. I replaced lines one at a time by tracing the path, checking the maps and diagrams and blowing through the line to make sure I had the right one. You end up with lines that are kind of in the way when you're doing other work.and look shabby, but cost very little and work fine. If you don't have cruise control or it's not working bypass that source of leaks.
Bluefierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2019 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BluefierogtSend a Private Message to BluefierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mavrick1798:

I also didnt want to spend the money for the RD'S. As much as im sure they're worth the money, i bent some of my own up out of brake line as it was a cheap alternative for hard lines. They turned out really nice.
Cajun

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2019 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know the OD of the different sizes of the vacuum lines? I would like to do my own in SS. I noticed online that both AS and aluminum lines can be purchased for reasonable prices.

Thanks

Bluefierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2019 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BluefierogtSend a Private Message to BluefierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cajun:

Does anyone know the OD of the different sizes of the vacuum lines? I would like to do my own in SS. I noticed online that both AS and aluminum lines can be purchased for reasonable prices.

Thanks

I used 6mm OD for the smaller lines, and 8mm OD for the larger lines. I did nothing with the PCV lines which are even bigger, as they were ok. But the main vacuum lines undee plenum, those are the outer diameters i used. I also bought small clamps to use for the rubber elbows. I bought them in the plumbing section at the local hardware store in the plumbung section. Theyre just a squeeze type called easy clamp with a 3\8th OD. I couldnt find any local replacements. Mine were ok, but they were stretched a bit, and i felt more confident clamping the lines.

Hope that helps
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock