Failed Evap test by sd_iconoclast
Started on: 01-15-2019 01:44 PM
Replies: 14 (414 views)
Last post by: donuteater306 on 01-23-2019 12:32 AM
sd_iconoclast

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2019 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sd_iconoclastSend a Private Message to sd_iconoclastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A while back, my '88 Formula failed a smog test here in California, because it failed the EVAP test.
The smog guy told me that 99% of the time it was just because the gas cap was bad.
I ran out and bought a new gas cap but the evap test still failed.
Can someone tell me what is being tested here?
Is it just a test that the fuel system is closed?
I have a smoke machine, where should I connect it.
I have the factory manual but I can't find any mention of the evap system even there is clearly an evap canister.
Any advice would be appreciated
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2019 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The test detects vacuum leaks in the vapor recovery system. Yes the cap is the easiest fix, but the system has hard plastic lines and flexible rubber vacuum lines that often Crack and leak. I recommend getting a vacuum diagram for the evap system. You can then trace the system. Even a bad fuel pump sending unit "O ring" at the top of the fuel tank can leak and fail you.
sd_iconoclast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2019 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sd_iconoclastSend a Private Message to sd_iconoclastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Rickady,
I have been looking for that vacuum diagram in my factory manual but could not find it.
Where should I inject smoke to find the leak?
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2019 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The system is the fuel tank, the filler neck/cap, and the evap canister/purge valve. You can connect a smoke machine at either end - the filler or the purge valve. As Rick suggested, the leak could be at the tank in which case a smoke test may not show the leak, but it's certainly a good place to start. If you haven't, be sure all the rubber parts in the engine bay are in good shape. A leak at the valve is probably the most likely to happen and the easiest to find & fix.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2019 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
87-88 Evap has a few things to look for leaks besides iffy cap...
"Fiero type" Canister and purge valve is not included on the pressure test because the test should require the operator to pinch the vent line at the canister because the "dumb" canister never close the line to air.

Problems will happen when:
The operator fails to seal that vent line. Old hard "rubber" hose makes this easy to happen or operator is using worn out pinch tool. Often all is possible. I remove the vent grill to give them easier access to the line because they won't and uses the tool at odd angles that fail to seal.
Main Fuel tank is leaking air
Vent line is leaking air. line is in two sections... main tank to aux tank, aux tank to canisters.
Aux tank inside right rear "fender" is leaking air.
Fill and vent tube set is leaking air. Fill ports have it's own vent.

Yes, Easy way is a smoke test on the fuel system. Only other way is pull parts out and look and that eats a lot of time/money.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2019 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
make Sure ONLY the Smoke gets into the fuel vapors ! LOL
tazome

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2019 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tazomeSend a Private Message to tazomeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had the same problem so i pulled the tank, wanted to anyway cause i bought a new sending unit from the fiero store , i replace every line looks like a new car , plus what i did is i pluged the vent line at the tank sending unit when i went to smog it and it passed lol, when i got home i upluged it . I live in trinity county/ shasta lake < were the carr fire was> you onle have to smog your car once in a life as long as you own it here, but LA county sucks for smog because i grew up ther until 2015 P.S if you need any evap parts i can get them , ther are about 5 fieros here at the local pick u pull

[This message has been edited by tazome (edited 01-19-2019).]

sd_iconoclast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2019 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sd_iconoclastSend a Private Message to sd_iconoclastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the great suggestions.
I was just about to hook up my smoke machine when I noticed that almost every rubber hose in the engine compartment had totally disintegrated.
I don't want to jump to conclusions, but I think this may be related to my problem.
So I am now replacing every one of them. Luckily, it appears that the hard plastic lines are OK.
The hoses that I am having the most trouble with are those near the cruise control actuator.
That is because I do not have a diagram to show how they were routed before they turned to dust.
Does such a diagram exist?
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2019 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The diagram for the evap system is on a sticker that is stuck on the bottom side of the rear decklid!

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2019 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I got my car smogged in San Jose, the guy had a separate gas cap tester that tested the cap off the car, that would tell you if it's the cap for sure, surprised he didn't have one.
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2019 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

When I got my car smogged in San Jose, the guy had a separate gas cap tester that tested the cap off the car, that would tell you if it's the cap for sure, surprised he didn't have one.

Yeah, I'm baffled about this too. Discrete gas cap testing is required unless you have an oddball car where no adapter exists (like an Alfa Romeo Milano). Pretty darned sure the Fiero is not such a car. I don't know why the tech suggested it could be the cap - his testing should have ruled that out. Although, maybe the cap testing only works one way - vacuum or pressure. I've never looked into it.
PFF
System Bot
sd_iconoclast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2019 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sd_iconoclastSend a Private Message to sd_iconoclastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

Now that you mention it, I have seen the same thing. I wonder why it happened that way.
The other possibility is that senility has kicked in and I am not remembering it right. The test was more than 9 months ago.
sd_iconoclast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2019 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sd_iconoclastSend a Private Message to sd_iconoclastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sd_iconoclast

258 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by Shho13:

The diagram for the evap system is on a sticker that is stuck on the bottom side of the rear decklid!

It does not include the hoses for the cruise control
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2019 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just block Cruise Con vac line until you pass E-test.
CC Vac lines are likely not only thing bad... can and valve under servo and servo itself are often leak problems.

I think you block a T port near CC "Brick" in 1 vac hard line to EVAP can valve.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 01-21-2019).]

donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2019 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 87 failed evap last year because the fuel tank wouldn't hold pressure. The weld that held the evap line to the sending unit let loose. Bought a new sender, now I pass smog but my fuel gauge is horribly inaccurate lol.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock