Started on: 01-12-2019 07:50 PM
Replies: 15 (352 views)
Last post by: crazyd on 01-14-2019 09:52 AM
crazyd

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 140
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2019 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazydClick Here to visit crazyd's HomePageSend a Private Message to crazydEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been running fine this weekend until just now. Parked for an hour, then a difficult crank followed by slower-than usual cranking and no start. I have fuel pump prime and fuel pressure at the Schrader valve. I am NOT seeing oil pressure at the gage during cranking. I can't remember whether or not I should be. I torqued the oil pickup myself when I rebuilt the engine in '17, doubt it would have just fallen off. Wondering now if the timing chain snapped.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2019 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's easy and fun to jump to a conclusion, but review the basics to rule them out. Have you used up the battery? Is the tach moving up to 300 when you crank the starter? Is some wiring loose or corroded? Is the oil level OK?

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 01-12-2019).]

crazyd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2019 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazydClick Here to visit crazyd's HomePageSend a Private Message to crazydEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've left the car for the night. I didn't think to check the tach while cranking, yeah that would have told me if the ignition module is dead, but it's still cranking and it's a year-old Optima Red Top. It had just started fine 30 minutes before so I don't think wiring problems. I just put in a new distributor that came with a new module a year ago, so I doubt the icm is bad either. I reconnected all the plugs on top to make sure they were secure - coil, plug wires, tps, maf, dist, etc. Just had a new catback installed at Midas yesterday, so they were welding on it, and I changed the oil less than 300 miles ago.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2019 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by crazyd:

Just had a new catback installed at Midas yesterday, so they were welding on it...

And now it won't start. Just coincidence... or not?
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2019 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:
And now it won't start. Just coincidence... or not?

That does seem suspicious. For the sake of argument, what do you think he should look for that might be welding-related?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2019 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Notorio:

That does seem suspicious. For the sake of argument, what do you think he should look for that might be welding-related?

Wiring at the starter. Look for melted insulation or blobs of melted welding rod on the starter.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 01-12-2019).]

shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2019 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If your timing chain snapped, Im sure you would hear some nastiness while cranking it. Take a jump box n some starter fluid. If it starts on the fluid you got no gas getting to the motor. If it doesnt- U have a spark issue. Wiggle your fuses n shake some wire harnessesesses, worked for ol shemmy many a time.

shem
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2019 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Year old battery means nothing and Do not trust gauges in the dash.

First Check Volts @ the battery. Then check volts at the starter w/ ground probe to starter case or engine block.
Because Slow to crank is is very likely a "dead" battery, alternator problems and/or wiring to them.

battery charged should be ~ 12.6 to 13.6 volt
battery bad or not charged < 12.5 v

Volts @ the starter should = or be Very Close to same volts @ the battery. If not then cables are bad or loose.

Check volts @ the starter trying to start is better but Do Not get under the car when you try to start.
You might be able to check w/o getting under at all. Carefully use a meter thru driver side and trans on top or mayby use a stick to extent probe handle but GT body makes this harder and likely have to lay over the trunk. Probes w/ "alligator chips" may help because you don't have to hold them trying to start.

Can be the starter w/ problems but If you to run starter w/ iffy battery and/or cables then you can kill the starter.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

crazyd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2019 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazydClick Here to visit crazyd's HomePageSend a Private Message to crazydEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The battery is supplying adequate voltage to the starter, and the starter is turning over the engine adequately for it to fire. The question is why it won't fire. I'm going back over to check on it, and if it's still there I'll see if it's registering on the tach during cranking. Big question remains - should I expect to see oil pressure during cranking?
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2019 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oil pressure will rise when cranking.

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 01-13-2019).]

ZCR1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2019 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZCR1Send a Private Message to ZCR1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unplug your coil and remove the distributor cap and see if the rotor spins while cranking (cam gear/oil pump drive). If you have the old distributor, you can remove the gear and use it with a drill to spin the oil pump and watch the pressure gauge with the ignition on. Or, remove the oil pressure sensor and see if oil shoots out, lol.

Does the Tach climb while cranking? It should.
Do you have fuel pressure with the ign on?
Codes?
Spark while cranking?

[This message has been edited by ZCR1 (edited 01-13-2019).]

PFF
System Bot
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2019 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you don't disconnect the battery when welding you can fry electrical components...
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2019 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tha Driver:

If you don't disconnect the battery when welding you can fry electrical components...

Oh...oh.
crazyd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2019 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazydClick Here to visit crazyd's HomePageSend a Private Message to crazydEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I know, that's what concerned me about it... but it drove fine all day Friday and Saturday before this happened. I've got tools and am checking it over now.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2019 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just FYI, the oil pressure sender does not act as a fuel pump kill switch. That's a common misconception. What it actually does is act as a backup for the fuel pump relay. Since the fuel pump is priming, the relay is good. Therefore, the function (or lack thereof) of the oil pressure sender doesn't matter.
crazyd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2019 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crazydClick Here to visit crazyd's HomePageSend a Private Message to crazydEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I tried to start it again the battery was so low that it wouldn't crank at all. Jumped it from my girlfriend's car, and it started up just fine. That Optima was just plain weak, so I had it tested and it failed. I swapped it at a nearby Autozone for a fresh one, as it was still under warranty. It was cranking, but not fast enough to fire. TheOgre definitely had a point, and for me, sometimes knowing too much isn't such a good thing. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock