Replacement cradles? by Fiero Master
Started on: 01-12-2019 11:04 AM
Replies: 4 (246 views)
Last post by: Spadesluck on 01-12-2019 07:52 PM
Fiero Master

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2019 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero MasterSend a Private Message to Fiero MasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone had any success with building your own replacement cradle?

------------------
88 Formula

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2019 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2019 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I gave this some thought (Smelled smoke.....) and here is what I thought up; There is probably not that big a market for the 88 frame by itself.....But, how about a interchangeable aluminum frame with custom-designed A-arms for the 84-87s? Make it basically as an 88.....Then add an extra mounting plate in front of the front transverse arm mounting spot, which would give a wide enough A-arm mount......The custom A-arm would adapt the 84-87 knuckle to the (Basically) 88 frame....Also, make those damn (84-87) Tie Rods shorter to eliminate most of the bumpsteer.

Commonality would allow a larger market and drop the price- Also, you could install the frame, then at a later date convert to the 88 setup when you located a donor car for the knuckles, links, etc.

I am not a welder/fabricator....someone else can have my I-dea........
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2019 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There have been easily 10 different designs of cradles people have built over the years. The issue is they are very labor intensive, which makes them hard to cost justify as replacements for the stock one. Most of the ones that were made to sell were priced in the thousands... not hundreds.

Additionally, with the bare 88 cradle being about 50 lbs, your realistic weight savings opportunity is in the 20-30 lbs assuming you can save some weight.

Here are just a few of the different styles:

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 01-12-2019).]

Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2019 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Probably just easier to find an 88 and use it. However building your own would be awesome if you had the time and skills.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock