Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Car seems to want the timing retarded in order to run smooth?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Car seems to want the timing retarded in order to run smooth? by Liam45
Started on: 01-09-2019 06:05 PM
Replies: 18 (339 views)
Last post by: anaverin on 01-25-2019 03:06 AM
Liam45

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2019 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Liam45Send a Private Message to Liam45Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone know any reasons my car wants to be like -50 on the dizzy, at -10 it sounds like its running on 3 cyl but smoother at higher rpm at -30 its running smooth except has a miss at idle but will easily cruise down the free way. I know having it retarded is just compensating for something and i checked my fuel pressure at its at 37, and when i unplug the fpr vacuum line it spikes to 45. Ive never checked or changed the injectors out so im not exactly ruling them out on being clogged maybe cause a lean condition anyone had this issue?

[This message has been edited by Liam45 (edited 01-09-2019).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Liam45

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2019 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Liam45Send a Private Message to Liam45Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And no the balancer has not slipped, 2.8 auto trans thanks
Liam45

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2019 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Liam45Send a Private Message to Liam45Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Liam45

36 posts
Member since Jul 2018
I typed that wrong, my bad but what i meant to say car will only run well advanced -30.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2019 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Liam45:

And no the balancer has not slipped...

And you had the ALDL jumper installed when setting the timing?
Liam45

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2019 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Liam45Send a Private Message to Liam45Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

And you had the ALDL jumper installed when setting the timing?

Yes AlDl jumped flashing 12 to verify, this problem is driving me up the wall lol...

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2019 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
30° of timing advance at idle sounds about right; I tuned my 2.8 Fiero to idle around there. That's what gave me the highest RPM / the most vacuum.

When you set the ALDL jumper to adjust the timing, you're not setting the timing that makes the engine run smoothest; you're setting the timing to a known pre-determined value, so that when the computer applies its timing corrections, the overall resulting timing is as expected.
Liam45

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2019 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Liam45Send a Private Message to Liam45Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

30° of timing advance at idle sounds about right; I tuned my 2.8 Fiero to idle around there. That's what gave me the highest RPM / the most vacuum.

When you set the ALDL jumper to adjust the timing, you're not setting the timing that makes the engine run smoothest; you're setting the timing to a known pre-determined value, so that when the computer applies its timing corrections, the overall resulting timing is as expected.

I like where we are going with this, only issue is when the jumper is removed after setting -10 and i go a for a drive the car feels as its missing do i need to drive a bit for computer to decide the advancment? when i rev it it sounds like a 3 cyl but eventually smooths on acceleration as the rpm increases?

Liam45

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2019 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Liam45Send a Private Message to Liam45Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Liam45

36 posts
Member since Jul 2018
Setting to -30 with jumper installed is where its at now but seems to miss at idle / stall if engine doesnt catch its self in time. But with -30 it doesnt miss / sounds like a 3 cyl when going from a stop...

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2019 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...sounds like a 3 cyl when going from a stop

Have you checked the two injector fuses? Maybe you are running on three cylinders!

Liam45

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2019 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Liam45Send a Private Message to Liam45Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Have you checked the two injector fuses? Maybe you are running on three cylinders!

Yeah went through all the fuses, i tried switching out the distributor to a cardone and it idled well but lost spark between 2-3k put the old one back in and it fixed the losing of spark. the cardone also worked at -10 just idk why it was losing spark. I narrowed it too the distributor , being spark coming out of the coil was nice and hot while the spark coming from the cap was not. The weird part is at -10 the throttle was snappy on the cardone at first but it would loose spark eventually, the original distributor at -10 has weak spark unless advanced to -30....
MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2019 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you sure it is a 2.8L motor and not a 3.4L motor with the 2.8L balancer? That would put your timing marks off. Just a thought.

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel
My HUD install thread
Modified stock air canister and base to 3.5 inch for 3800na

PFF
System Bot
Liam45

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2019 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Liam45Send a Private Message to Liam45Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update been driving it to hopefully have a problem surfacee and now shes throwing a code 42........lovely def something with my spark i really dont think icm but going to swap tomorrow...
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2019 02:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And no the balancer has not slipped...

How did you verify that?
Liam45

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2019 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Liam45Send a Private Message to Liam45Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How did you verify that?

I thought maybe the timing chain had slipped a tooth so I replaced it, it didn’t slip but man it was extremely loose. But during this I checked the harmonic balancer.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2019 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

But during this I checked the harmonic balancer.

How?

Liam45

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2019 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Liam45Send a Private Message to Liam45Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How?

By a picture of a new one vs mine, key location and gap.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2019 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Might be best to determine if TDC of #1 actually lines up with the timing mark on the balancer by sticking the proper tool (or even a plastic straw) through the spark plug hole.

And if you've changed the timing chain, make sure the valves are rocking at TDC of the exhaust stroke.
Liam45

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2019 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Liam45Send a Private Message to Liam45Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Might be best to determine if TDC of #1 actually lines up with the timing mark on the balancer by sticking the proper tool (or even a plastic straw) through the spark plug hole.

And if you've changed the timing chain, make sure the valves are rocking at TDC of the exhaust stroke.

Oh no yeah I get ya I used a piston stop prior and it all lined up, I just ordered a new air temp sensor, tested it today and it’s reading very off on the multimeter, I dialed back to -10 today and it solved the code 42. The cars running eh but sensor comes in Wednesday and maybe that will help it out. Setting -10 does idle better no stalling but I think the IAT sensor is messing with my injectors idk just a thought.

anaverin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2019 03:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for anaverinSend a Private Message to anaverinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sometimes a bad coil can increase dwell time. I replaced my coil and suddenly i could time the car with the light. Rare but happens

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock