Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  After math of a head light motor rebuild... Need help...

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
After math of a head light motor rebuild... Need help... by str8maxn
Started on: 12-30-2018 08:42 PM
Replies: 12 (450 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 01-10-2019 07:19 PM
str8maxn

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2018 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for str8maxnSend a Private Message to str8maxnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello all,

Happy New Year,

One of my head light motors stop working correctly. I purchased a rebuild kit from Rodney. I was able to take it apart, clean it out and put it back together. However, It's not functioning correctly. The motor will not go down when it has to. As soon as I plug it in, it moves into an open position. If I manually put the head light down, It will open when I turn the lights one but will don't go down when the lights are turned off.

I have swapped relays and the motor switch contacts and have not been able to fix the issue. (Used the motor that was still working)

Please note, I decided to use JB weld to bond the gear and the shaft vs. using the rubber stoppers that were supplied with kit. As shown in this youtube video called Rebuild of a Fiero Gen 1 headlight motor.

Please help,

JM
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Daryl M

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2018 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
str8maxn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2018 03:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for str8maxnSend a Private Message to str8maxnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Daryl M:

https://www.rockauto.com/en...se+board+module,8865

This is what you need.

Daryl,

I have a 1986, not sure if this matters. Were is this part located?

Daryl M

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2018 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, posted wrong part link. The part I suspect is the light switch. Mine had similar symptoms. The switch was bad.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2018 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is a " Wiper Motor Pulse Board Module" and has Nothing to do w/ your problem.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2018 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The cause of your problem is that when you put the motor back into the case, you turned the windings around. Open up the motor and turn the windings 180 degrees in the case then close up the motor and reinstall it. When disassembling the motors, you must make notation of how those windings are turned, relative to the deeper part of the motor case. First time they are opened, they will have a spot of white latex on the windings. That white spot should be visible when you put the motor back together to assure correct rotation. By turning the windings around, you have reversed the magnets.

Let us know that it works. Don't leave us hanging.
str8maxn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2018 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for str8maxnSend a Private Message to str8maxnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

The cause of your problem is that when you put the motor back into the case, you turned the windings around. Open up the motor and turn the windings 180 degrees in the case then close up the motor and reinstall it. When disassembling the motors, you must make notation of how those windings are turned, relative to the deeper part of the motor case. First time they are opened, they will have a spot of white latex on the windings. That white spot should be visible when you put the motor back together to assure correct rotation. By turning the windings around, you have reversed the magnets.

Let us know that it works. Don't leave us hanging.

I'll give this a shot...
Thank you and I'll reply with my results.

FX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2018 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FXSend a Private Message to FXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
...I had this same problem on my 86. It turned out to be the D ring on the top of the motor shaft. If you don't know it's there, it's easy to reassemble the case with that D ring outside of the housing...When you take it apart again note where the D ring is, and make sure it is seated within the housing when you reassemble it...
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2018 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FX has a good point. Before rotating the windings, look to see if the rubber D seal is inside the case rather than captured between the top of the case and knob. It should be inside the case.

You can expect to have a future motor failure with JB Weld. The bump stops are there to absorb shock. JB Weld doesn't absorb shock and the fingers on the drive plate may eventually break off or the JB Weld will eventually crumble like the original bump stops.
FX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2019 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FXSend a Private Message to FXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
...Agree with Fierofool. I'd get that JB weld out of there, and install the bump stops. Without the 'bump stops' in there to absorb the shock of the violent stop, you risk breaking a gear...
str8maxn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2019 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for str8maxnSend a Private Message to str8maxnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello all,

Here is my update, I rotated the winding 180 degrees as suggested by FieroFool and that did the trick. It working correctly, Thank you for the advise FieroFool and everyone else.

How would I go about removing the JB weld?
PFF
System Bot
FX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2019 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FXSend a Private Message to FXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
STR, try some penetrating oil around the perimeter. Drill a few small holes in the JB around the edge, careful not to go all the way through. Then flatten the end of some screws and screw them into the holes. Turn each screw a little at a time around the edge, and keep applying the oil. When the flat end of the screws hit the bottom of the well, they may pull the weld out. The JB weld may not stick too well to that nylon-plastic. I have successfully done this with other things...
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2019 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If they're Rodney's gears, they are metal. If you can manage to get a slot cut in them like the head of a screw, try inserting a flatblade screwdriver and twisting it. the JB should either twist and release or shatter.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock