Fiero Factory Subwoofer by Skull_Bandit
Started on: 12-30-2018 10:06 AM
Replies: 9 (929 views)
Last post by: migs on 01-08-2019 12:38 PM
Skull_Bandit

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2018 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Skull_BanditSend a Private Message to Skull_BanditEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So my car was equipped with the factory sub-woofer and I'm curious if there is a way to put an aftermarket sub-woofer in the existing spot. I know it will mount up. But I want to use the factory tuning switch located on the dome light assembly to be able to turn it up and down. As far as I can tell there are no wires in the sub-woofer tunnel so I don't know what wires I'd attach it with. I also have an aftermarket radio but the wires are unmolested so everything should be in there. However the car did not have the factory sub when I got it. I am unsure if the aftermarket radio will be a problem.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram of the sub/amp? I'm trying to avoid doing something aftermarket in it as to keep the original look.

------------------
1986 Fiero GT. 2.8 5 spd (Toy/Daily)
1988 Monte Carlo SS. 350 sbc 200r4 (Toy)
2004 Buick Lesabre Limited (Daily)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
87covertible

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2018 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87covertibleSend a Private Message to 87covertibleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Incase you haven't found it, your sub woofer amp is under the carpet passenger side against the console. However I tried to get mine working with a aftermarket stereo and factory amp and replacement woofer and all I get is a weird thumping sound.
After taking it to a place that does sound systems they told me none of it is compatible so I wish you luck.
87covertible

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2018 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87covertibleSend a Private Message to 87covertibleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

87covertible

27 posts
Member since Sep 2014
Incase you haven't found it, your sub woofer amp is under the carpet passenger side against the console. However I tried to get mine working with a aftermarket stereo and factory amp and replacement woofer and all I get is a weird thumping sound.
After taking it to a place that does sound systems they told me none of it is compatible so I wish you luck.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2018 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87covertible:

However I tried to get mine working with a aftermarket stereo and factory amp and replacement woofer and all I get is a weird thumping sound.

Sounds like the wiring to aftermarket stereo is wrong.
Are you using a relay to power the sub amplifier?

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...030531-2-029311.html
http://calgaryfieros.com/OSGdocs/mod.radio.html

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 12-30-2018).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2018 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes right on tunnel under dash. OE Cruise box is other side in most Fiero w/ cruise option.

You can replace OE sub w/ higher watt unit but you only get same low max power from OE amp. Small size matters even w/ higher watt subs so w/ small cone and small enclosure will never = to 8" or bigger w/ matching box.

OE Sub amp is wired to use OE radio speaker out to get a signal. OE radios that use it are low power units and doesn't flood the sub amp at high volume to the speakers.
Can likely make it work w/ other heads but not worth time/effort to most shops because needs rewiring in the amp itself and then they get more problems when owner complain for any reason.

No aftermarket sub amps work w/ Fiero sub amp control. If they have level control at all, you have to take them apart and try to make a remote lever control. Taking apart can be very hard and easily wreck them. Improper wiring can wreck them or making/pickup noise then going thru them. If you make something between head and sub then still have to deal w/ same noise problem at minimum.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Skull_Bandit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2018 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Skull_BanditSend a Private Message to Skull_BanditEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like I need to just mount a sub in the factory spot. Get a new amp and hook it up that way. Because my factory radio quit working so I couldn’t use it if I wanted to.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2019 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am using an Alpine head unit with the factory sub unit and it is functional with no internal wiring changes. Not a tremendous amount of base but OK for an older guy.

Nelson
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2019 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero OEM subwoofer amplifers are repairable. Oliver Sholtz traced the component board connections, identified everything and posted a schematic on his website. Here it is: subwoofer schematic

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 01-06-2019).]

yamaha94

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2019 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yamaha94Send a Private Message to yamaha94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney Dickman makes a great sub upgrade. Id say thats your best bet.

If you still have the stock subwoofer amplifier and sub you can connect it to any stereo head. You need to disconnect the stock blue wire from the harness to the stereo head and tap it to one of the red power wires. This will power on the sub amplifier. Works great for me and my setup.

[This message has been edited by yamaha94 (edited 01-07-2019).]

migs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2019 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for migsSend a Private Message to migsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The above wiring modification is all you need to make any other radio besides the stock one work with the factory sub amp and if you hear that noise you are describing it is not getting the power correctly is all. There is also a better option on replacing the speaker in that factory box which is similar to the Rodney version.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000079.html

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock