Extracting a Northstar by Slabsurfer
Started on: 12-29-2018 09:43 AM
Replies: 7 (255 views)
Last post by: Slabsurfer on 01-10-2019 10:03 PM
Slabsurfer

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2018 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlabsurferSend a Private Message to SlabsurferEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
According to the VIN, I've got a 94 Eldorado Northstar that I plan on using for parts and eventual rebuild (time-serts/head bolts).

I pulled the motor and transmission from the car, leaving the cradle so it could still be towed away to the scrap yard. I had found only one pry point between the two, but they weren't coming apart. So, I just loaded both and took it all home.

So, I started yesterday with the goal to separate the transmission from the motor. I confirmed that all of the bolts were out. Then, with a 5lb sledgehammer and a few well-placed punch rods, I started to see daylight between the block and transmission. I was able to work an old wood chisel into the gaps that then allowed room for me to use the prybar.

It all now wiggles as it should, with exception to the connection point at the bottom left ("A", if you are using the illustration in this thread: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/000182.html URL for actual picture: http://images.fieroforum.co...using_Bolt_Holes.jpg ).

The bolt of course is out, but the bell housing and block seem to be fused together right at that point.
Is the solution to just dowse it in penetration fluid and let it sit for a few days. Or, am I missing something here?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2018 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You should not do any prying to separate the two... both are aluminum and it is relatively easy to break something.

Did you remove the bolts from the differential end of the transmission where the passenger axle plugs into the transmission? There is a support bracket between the transmission and engine block there.
Did you remove the dust cover between the flex plate and the engine block?
Slabsurfer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2018 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlabsurferSend a Private Message to SlabsurferEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep, both the bracket on the other end as well as the dust cover are removed.
MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2018 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hit points A & (E?) with PB Blaster and wait a day? They look like alignment sleeves?

BR's,

Mark

------------------
86 SE V6 Auto
65 Tempest 400 CID
2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 3.6
2015 BMW 535iX M Sport
2008 G6 GT "Street" Coupe
2005 Buick 3.6 Rendezvous

Slabsurfer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2018 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlabsurferSend a Private Message to SlabsurferEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've shot it with PB Blaster and can wait.

Because I can wiggle the right side, I think the alignment dowel is free over there. It's seems to be that one side.

darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2018 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a thought, but there may be one bolt that comes in from the opposite direction, just above the starter. Hard to see and get to, but you probably already got it!!!
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2018 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Slabsurfer:

According to the VIN, I've got a 94 Eldorado Northstar that I plan on using for parts and eventual rebuild (time-serts/head bolts).

I pulled the motor and transmission from the car, leaving the cradle so it could still be towed away to the scrap yard. I had found only one pry point between the two, but they weren't coming apart. So, I just loaded both and took it all home.

So, I started yesterday with the goal to separate the transmission from the motor. I confirmed that all of the bolts were out. Then, with a 5lb sledgehammer and a few well-placed punch rods, I started to see daylight between the block and transmission. I was able to work an old wood chisel into the gaps that then allowed room for me to use the prybar.

It all now wiggles as it should, with exception to the connection point at the bottom left ("A", if you are using the illustration in this thread: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/000182.html URL for actual picture: http://images.fieroforum.co...using_Bolt_Holes.jpg ).

The bolt of course is out, but the bell housing and block seem to be fused together right at that point.
Is the solution to just dowse it in penetration fluid and let it sit for a few days. Or, am I missing something here?

The dowel pin at that hole is just stuck... keep hitting it with penetrating oil and gently work it free.
Slabsurfer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2019 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlabsurferSend a Private Message to SlabsurferEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will, that was it.
I hit it a few times with PB Blaster, last week. Been busy with work and a family battling colds, so it had plenty of time to sit. Came back to it, tonight and pried & wiggled until it popped.
Feels good, man. Feels good.
Thanks for all of your help!
B

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock