Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Anyone ever welded the cooling pipes that run under the Fiero?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Anyone ever welded the cooling pipes that run under the Fiero? by hcforde
Started on: 12-18-2018 12:11 AM
Replies: 12 (419 views)
Last post by: RCR on 12-23-2018 05:33 PM
hcforde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2018 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of my antifreeze coolant pipes(the drivers side) has a split in it (lengthwise) about 6 inches and maybe 1/32-1/16 inch wide. I am considering welding it but do not exactly know what kind of metal it is. Since it has been under these cars for 30 years, is it a coated steel?, a type of stainless steel? Anyone ever have to do this?

Also, is JB Weld a candidate for fixing it?

Thanks

[This message has been edited by hcforde (edited 12-18-2018).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2018 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stainless apparently (found one post on here that said so).
Can't imagine epoxy lasting long when system under pressure.

You could possibly slide a piece of tube over the split and clamp both ends.
I don't think I'd cut the tube to insert a length of hose a no real way to flare ends so tube does not come off, even when clamped.

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

vette7584

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2018 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for vette7584Send a Private Message to vette7584Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Red98422

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2018 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Red98422Send a Private Message to Red98422Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Put a magnet to it. Low grade SS isn’t as magnetic as mild, and high grade isn’t magnetic at all.

It depends on what your going to weld it with/what it’s made of. I don’t see it being any different than welding thin tube with a crack in it. It also depends on your level of proficiency with that prosess of welding.
hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2018 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you guys ever heard of the superglue and baking soda trick?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CattPdF4usc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amLsakq22Ls

I tried it on a radiator and it lasted for 3 weeks. Works very well as a temporary fix. SO if you are in a remote location and have a radiator issue it WILL get you home!!!

No, I am not going to do this even as a temp fix for my current problem. I am selling the car and need a good fix I can be proud of.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2018 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes that and OE exhaust are a variate of SS that can rust but much slowly then "normal" steel.
Welding any thin wall tube, gas tanks, etc, w/ liquid/gas sealing is not easy even for many experts. Silver solder and brazing can have same problems. A Big issue is high heat needed makes stress in the metal that can break open now or anytime after. In most steel gas tanks can use normal solders and fluxes but that won't work here. (Normal solder doesn't need high heat, only ~500-600°F and metal doesn't need to glow.)

Splitting is often one or two problem as root cause:
Metal is weak from rust etc. Welding on brand new thin wall tube can have problems and multiple times worse on rotted metal.
Some ID10t used water or weak coolant mix and let car freeze. If so then likely have other issues w/ problems now or in the near future like wrecked freeze plugs in the engine.

Can't find my notes and too cold to look at them but Think the coolant tubes are rolled then machine welded into a tube. If a split is a failed seem for any reason then junk it. You might fix a section and breaks again next weak spot under full system pressure.

So even if you weld or otherwise fix the problem... Can fail again in other places and likely soon. So you need to check the whole system not just fix 1 spot.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2018 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The coolant pipes are made of stainless steel, not sure which specific grade though. As mentioned above, the walls are pretty thin, so welding will be a challenge.

I wouldn't trust any of the "temporary fix" solutions, because they're temporary. That includes JB Weld. If you can't find a skilled enough welder to tackle the job, the next best solution would probably be to slip a piece of radiator hose over the pipe, to cover the split.
hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2018 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Red98422:

Put a magnet to it. Low grade SS isn’t as magnetic as mild, and high grade isn’t magnetic at all. It depends on what your going to weld it with/what it’s made of. I don’t see it being any different than welding thin tube with a crack in it.

It is magnetic!

hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2018 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hcforde

543 posts
Member since Mar 2013

Originally posted by theogre:

Yes that and OE exhaust are a variate of SS that can rust but much slowly then "normal" steel.
Welding any thin wall tube, gas tanks, etc, w/ liquid/gas sealing is not easy even for many experts. Silver solder and brazing can have same problems. A Big issue is high heat needed makes stress in the metal that can break open now or anytime after. In most steel gas tanks can use normal solders and fluxes but that won't work here. (Normal solder doesn't need high heat, only ~500-600°F and metal doesn't need to glow.)

Splitting is often one or two problem as root cause:
Metal is weak from rust etc. Welding on brand new thin wall tube can have problems and multiple times worse on rotted metal.
Some ID10t used water or weak coolant mix and let car freeze. If so then likely have other issues w/ problems now or in the near future like wrecked freeze plugs in the engine.

Can't find my notes and too cold to look at them but Think the coolant tubes are rolled then machine welded into a tube. If a split is a failed seem for any reason then junk it. You might fix a section and breaks again next weak spot under full system pressure.

So even if you weld or otherwise fix the problem... Can fail again in other places and likely soon. So you need to check the whole system not just fix 1 spot.

Yes it is split at the seam. I have a section of the pipe I got from another car it is .040 thick. I have been practicing welding on it. It is doable but you can not linger on one spot. Using .03 wire on a mig it is easy to blow through. Stick is out of the question on a low end machine. I do have a brand new Inverter welder that will do MIG, TIG and Stick but it is basically still in the box. I could turn the power very low on it and do mig pulse but I have absolutely no experience with it at this point.

[This message has been edited by hcforde (edited 12-19-2018).]

edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2018 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I repaired mine with JBWeld and it is holding fine after 3 years, but I had only a couple of pin holes in mine. It was not a 'split'.
hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2018 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by edfiero:

I repaired mine with JBWeld and it is holding fine after 3 years, but I had only a couple of pin holes in mine. It was not a 'split'.

6" split, I ended up cutting it out and replacing it using radiator hose I found that conformed to the curve of the tubing being replaced....double clamped both ends.

PFF
System Bot
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2018 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've played with welding these tubes before. They are stainless, but that is not the issue for welding them. The issue is that there is a buildup of material on the insides that will contaminate any weld. It will be very difficult to make it hold pressure without pinhole leaks. I ended up cutting out the bad section, welding a ring to the end (couldn't flair it), then using rubber hose and clamps.

Bob
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2018 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RCR

4397 posts
Member since Sep 2002

Originally posted by hcforde:

6" split, I ended up cutting it out and replacing it using radiator hose I found that conformed to the curve of the tubing being replaced....double clamped both ends.

I had mine clamped before welding the rings on. Blew the hose right off. I think there is a pic of the mess in my build thread.

Bob

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock