Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  2.5 Duke crank pulley. Washers required???

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
2.5 Duke crank pulley. Washers required??? by kevin
Started on: 12-09-2018 11:26 AM
Replies: 6 (125 views)
Last post by: pmbrunelle on 12-11-2018 09:07 PM
kevin

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2018 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fellas,
I recently purchased a stock A/C crank pulley from the Fiero Ranch. I had a mechanic install it on my ‘85 Duke (I did not have the time to do it myself😟). When the mechanic Installed it, did GM require one to first install a set of washers on the crank before putting on the pulley? I ask because it appears the alignment of the V-belt looks to be off by a quarter-inch (32nd of an inch?) with the water pump and alternator? Is this only my imagination?
I would hate to lose ANOTHER belt because of a few simple and inexpensive washers!
Cordially,
kevin
Ps. What are the correct settings for the crank bolts?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2018 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No washers. didn't the 2,5 engine use different pulleys in different "model" cars ? (I know the Blocks were different) Maybe the pulley is FROM something "Other than" a Fiero ??
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2018 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lou,
That is what I’m trying to figure out❓ How can I determine what specific GM Duke car, gave its engine to my ‘85 Fiero? Is there any simple idea(s) that anyone can share that would tell me what particular GM ‘86 car it came from?
From this starting point, I can then back-engineer the correct pulley design for this belt devouring engine. Any ideas?
Cordially,
kevin
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2018 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
don't know HOW you tell, I know there were 4-5 different BLOCKS cast over the years for different models, front wheel drive , rear wheel drive, trucks, etc. More than likely it IS a Fiero" engine" with a different model balancer / pulley. The different Blocks had different mounting points cast in for the engine Mounts, and water pump. what else, don't know. never made any sense to me. (should have made 1 block with mounting points to Fit ALL the models. would have been much cheaper to do)
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2018 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lou6t4gto

8436 posts
Member since May 2008
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2018 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:
(should have made 1 block with mounting points to Fit ALL the models. would have been much cheaper to do)

Where I work (automotive supplier), we're willing to split one subcomponent into two part numbers, in order to save ~20 cents on the basic stripped-down variant, on a item costing a few hundred dollars.

Managers can see and understand the BOM cost, and take comfort in making decisions based on numbers generated from an Excel sheet. When scrutinized, they can show their superiors pretty numbers on a spreadsheet.

It's real hard to convince someone to account for the "hard to calculate" cost of the "administrative burden", especially when you don't know what it is. Easier to cave in...

For engine blocks, I think that making different incompatible variants is likely the correct choice.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2018 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

pmbrunelle

4376 posts
Member since Sep 2008
OP, I'd forget about trying to figure out what engine you have for the moment.

Instead, measure pulley alignment with a straightedge.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock