84 2.5 wont start by Tailspin92
Started on: 12-09-2018 10:56 AM
Replies: 9 (168 views)
Last post by: HaliCop on 12-10-2018 08:30 AM
Tailspin92

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2018 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tailspin92Send a Private Message to Tailspin92Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Recently picked up a 84 2.5 guy told me it ran just needed an injector which I swapped along with the fuel pressure switch and ignition control module cap and rotor I have yet to see this thing run. I have plenty of fuel and spark, all the grounds look good along with any vacuum lines I checked the timing idk how many times all the valves are opening. It will get to a point will it will try to start but then just go back to cranking. I feel like it may be the ecm because I can’t get the car to go into diagnostic mode when I jump the terminals.any help would be awesome I’ve heard these things can be a pain.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2018 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum! does the SES light work with the key in the 'ON' position? No light means something is not right with the ECM, maybe no power to it.

edit: Fiero buyers rule #1.....forget everything your seller said.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 12-09-2018).]

HaliCop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2018 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HaliCopSend a Private Message to HaliCopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How long has it been sitting and how old is the gas?

I never trust what people have to say when buying a car, but I'm usually willing to take a gamble on a car that won't start as long as I can hear it crank over and there are no concerning sounds.

Obviously there are three things you need in order for a car to start (air, fuel and spark). it may be worth while flushing out the old gas and replacing it with fresh gas. I would be tempted to replace the plugs, fuel filter and air filter. If you take the fuel filter off try and blow through it. There should be no resistance. You can have weak spark or low fuel pressure and to the naked eye they mean seem like they work but in reality it's just not sufficient enough to create the fire needed to start the car.

Another thing you may try is have someone pour at a slow rate gas into the throttle body as you crank the starter. If that causes it to start then I would say you have an issue in the fuel system somewhere. If it doesn't cause it to start then I suggest something is off with the ignition system.

[This message has been edited by HaliCop (edited 12-09-2018).]

Tailspin92

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2018 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tailspin92Send a Private Message to Tailspin92Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did check for power to the ecm amd it’s getting. I’m just not sure if it’s picking up that it’s trying to start but I have seen the light come on when I first got it but havnt seen it since. Also the gas smells pretty fresh I don’t buy in to what sellers say but I do believe he drove it fairly recent before I bought it.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2018 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As you crank the starter, check the tach. It should go up to 300 or 400 rpm. IF it stays at 0, you have a problem in the primary ignition. Spray some starter fluid in the injector....if it runs a bit, you have a fuel delivery problem. If you don't see the SES light at all, it is either not getting power or really messed up.
Tailspin92

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2018 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tailspin92Send a Private Message to Tailspin92Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Checked that, i May have to try a new starter it turns real slow then speeds up like it’s gona start then goes back to slow does sound like it wants to go. Still no light and the tach was jumping around maybe got up to 200-300 while cranking
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2018 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make sure the connections on the battery cables are clean. Both ends....use a wire brush. The cables could be corroded internally.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2018 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Make sure the connections on the battery cables are clean. Both ends....use a wire brush. The cables could be corroded internally.

After that, if you have insured that your battery is good and fully charged:
1. Check for fault codes
2. Check for fuel pressure and put fresh gasoline in the tank
3. Check for spark and for mouse damage on the wires.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Tailspin92

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2018 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tailspin92Send a Private Message to Tailspin92Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I’ll have to grab some new plugs and battery cables this week think I have another set of plug wires. I know it’s got a new fuel filter in it. I had a couple people look at it and seems to leave others stumped ha I know it’s gotta be somthing ridiculously simple
HaliCop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2018 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HaliCopSend a Private Message to HaliCopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tailspin92:

I know it’s gotta be somthing ridiculously simple

Usually is

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock