Click here to visit the donation page | View all sponsors
  Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Has anyone ever done a Phantom Wiper fix that worked ?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Has anyone ever done a Phantom Wiper fix that worked ? by Lou6t4gto
Started on: 12-05-2018 07:26 PM
Replies: 8 (195 views)
Last post by: wftb on 12-09-2018 12:34 PM
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2018 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoClick Here to Email Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

1985 Fiero sport. every time I turn on the key From a cold start, the wipers take 1 swipe.(very annoying) . I've been dealing with it for 6 years. Is there a way to Stop it, (short of putting in a toggle switch on the power wire ??

IP: Logged

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 538
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2018 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Are "fix kits" to replace caps etc on the delay board but easier and safer to Get a new delay board.
Dorman and others has them last time I check. Get thru many auto parts stores.

Might be wiper switch but new board is easy.
Can try just checking connectors and motor ground. Motor ground is one mount point to body and rust etc can make problems.

But...
If the delay board is burned then fix/replace the motor and check power/grounds are good.
Iffy power/ground can make motor to draw too many amps and burn up the board and even the motor.
Bad motor can to it but still have to check wiring.
Damage/Binding wiper trans, all parts between motor and arms, can have same results.
See my Cave, Electric Motors and Windshield Wipe

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

IMSA GT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 238
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2018 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTClick Here to Email IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Don't know if you have seen this in the mall:
http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/077337.html

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 538
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2018 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dorman board 906109 is $27 plus shipping at Rockauto and $35 at AZ.
If the store don't have it right now... Order in store at many places and often get same or next day depending on time when ordered and w/o shipping charge.

If the old board is not burned... switching boards is a 10 minute job or less.

Only in 84 and older cars are harder because Fiero and others uses separate board under the dash.
I don't think anyone still makes that version.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 12-06-2018).]

USMUCL

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2018 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Don't know if you have seen this in the mall:
http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/077337.html

OP, if you research this thread in the mall, you'll see it has about a 100% success rate

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2018 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoClick Here to Email Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

tried it a couple of years ago, Did Not Work for me

wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2018 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbClick Here to Email wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It did not work for me but my wipers were running all the time , not just doing a phantom wipe. So I added a switch running from the fuse block that I mounted under the steering collum. Another fuse is incorporated in this harness. When it is raining, I just turn the switch on. Hopefully this winter I will have time for a proper fix, but this saves a lot of aggravation in the meantime.

[This message has been edited by wftb (edited 12-09-2018).]

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2018 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoClick Here to Email Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fuse box ?! a good place to tap in for the switch, thanks

wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2018 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbClick Here to Email wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/141375.html Link to what I made up

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock