best 60 degree v6 setup by Eltsyrk
Started on: 12-05-2018 12:06 PM
Replies: 6 (267 views)
Last post by: Eltsyrk on 12-05-2018 11:18 PM
Eltsyrk

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2018 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EltsyrkSend a Private Message to EltsyrkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i have been looking at alot of forums talking about a few of gms 60 degree v6's. currently i have a cammed 2.8 that will work for me for a while but being a car person i have my next goal in mind already
the goal being
300-350rwhp
6 speed
keeping the 60 degree v6 that could bolt up and not have to do major body work or cut sheet metal
i know there are alot of forum posts on this topic that i have looked through but now i want one place that i can go to to finalize my choices.
questions i have are as follows

what would be the benifits of keeping the fiero top end vs using the aluminum top end on these engines
what are the real differences (things such as roller cam, block size, and dog bone mounting places) between these engine being the 2.8 3.1 3.4 3400 and 3500, 3900 (idk about the 3900 or the 3500 as i have seen some say they wont bolt up and some say they will bolt up.)
how much power are these blocks rated for
how difficult it is to fix these engines how complicated is the wiring and computer systems
whats the aftermarket strength for these motors is there alot of performance parts avalible.
what block would give the highest redline

------------------
1986 fiero se 2.8 v6 4 speed

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2018 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm sure you'll get many answers, including the "get a 3800" mantra. But if I were to do what you're talking about, I'd go for a 3500 (the early ones, based on the 3100/3400 block), with a turbo. It has a roller cam, reinforced block, and reinforced bottom end, should be safe for 7k RPM. I wouldn't even bother with the Fiero top end, it'll hold you back.
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2018 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My personal opinion is the G6 3900 LZ9 w/ 6spd......It was the last-and most powerful iteration of the 60* V6......240 hp and 240 Lb/Ft of torque...Because of Variable cam timing the engine develops 90% of it's top torque from 1500 to 5500 rpm....It is also 40-50 lbs lighter than the 2.8.

I like big PR engines, as opposed to spinner engines......The Tonda boys hate getting toasted by big PR engines.......

I believe that there is some modding to the frame to install the 6spd in a Fiero......
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2018 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The LZ9 3900 will bolt to a stock Fiero tranny. It 240 FWHP, out of the box.
I plan to do one, in the not-too-distant future.
Aftermarket support is nearly nonexistent, however.
Eltsyrk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2018 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EltsyrkSend a Private Message to EltsyrkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

I'm sure you'll get many answers, including the "get a 3800" mantra. But if I were to do what you're talking about, I'd go for a 3500 (the early ones, based on the 3100/3400 block), with a turbo. It has a roller cam, reinforced block, and reinforced bottom end, should be safe for 7k RPM. I wouldn't even bother with the Fiero top end, it'll hold you back.

what years would those be as i will probably be using the king of used car parts market being car-part.com to find my engine and they organize based on year of the car. i appreciate the help from all of you.

------------------
1986 fiero se 2.8 v6 4 speed

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2018 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Eltsyrk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2018 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EltsyrkSend a Private Message to EltsyrkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sorry backed out of page and double posted

[This message has been edited by Eltsyrk (edited 12-05-2018).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock