Click here to visit The FieroStore | View all sponsors
  Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Went from a fine running fiero to driveway queen...

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Went from a fine running fiero to driveway queen... by Liam45
Started on: 12-04-2018 09:34 PM
Replies: 20 (342 views)
Last post by: Gall757 on 12-09-2018 08:06 PM
Liam45

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2018 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Liam45Click Here to Email Liam45Send a Private Message to Liam45Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hello so im exhausted ive tried basically everything ive even burned out the starter from so many attempts and put a new one in. I pulled my fiero from a ditch where it slept for 15 years ive done tons of work even drove it from San Deigo to San Francisco last week no issues well the only thing i havent replaced was the pick up coil and after replacing the pick up coil the car would not start without back firing turn out the cap was done...autozone gold lasted 3 months i guess anways ive time the car by the book right on the 10 mark on the harmonic balancer and the car idles fine with the adl pinned but as soon as i pull the pin out the car dies and if i try to keep it running it back fires repetitively like its out of timing ive checked the timing probably more than ten times it just isn't adding up.... The car has become my daily and was doing 70 miles a day no sweat and till i changed the pick up coil... Any assistance would be great thanks guys.

IP: Logged

Liam45

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2018 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Liam45Click Here to Email Liam45Send a Private Message to Liam45Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sorry about all the typos been going 6 hours straight on the car, but just for clarification car idles and revs when the computer plug has a clip in a and b posts. Wont drive with them tho as soon as it goes into gear it sputters and dies. with the pin out it only stays running with a lil foot and it back fires and eventually dies. new cap, new icm, new ignition, coil new pick up, og distributor. idles pretty smoothly with the pin in revs decently but once removed goes to **** ... changed the pick up as a preventitive maintenance.... should of lived by if it aint broken dont fix it cuz man im beat...

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2018 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Year, Engine, Transmission.....?

Liam45

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2018 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Liam45Click Here to Email Liam45Send a Private Message to Liam45Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My bad 87 GT Auto, 2.8

Spoon

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2018 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You didn't mention anything about the firing order. Double check that first. Whatever engine you have pull #1 spark plug and manually turn over the engine until the piston is at top dead center on the compression stroke. Then take a peek under your distributor cap and see if the rotor is pointing to #1 plug wire.

If not then go back to the first line of the above paragraph.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

[This message has been edited by Spoon (edited 12-04-2018).]

Liam45

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2018 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Liam45Click Here to Email Liam45Send a Private Message to Liam45Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Firing order is correct and tested that the cylinder is at tdc of compression, doesn't run bad till aldl is disconnected idles pretty well with it connected. When i put it to tdc and pull the cap the rotor is at cyl #1.

Liam45

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2018 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Liam45Click Here to Email Liam45Send a Private Message to Liam45Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I know it seems like its out of time i really hope it is honestly because thats not a problem does anyone have a manual pic or can tell exactly what notch is 10 degrees on the housing ive referenced forums and youtube found discrepancies but have lined up the large notch on my balancer with the 2nd valley on the scale going from left to right. Its just weird that its running smooth and reving with the aldl jumped but as soon as removed goes to utter crap...

[This message has been edited by Liam45 (edited 12-04-2018).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2018 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

slipped balancer?

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/131761.html

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 12-05-2018).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2018 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageClick Here to Email fierosoundSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Liam45:

Its just weird that its running smooth and reving with the aldl jumped but as soon as removed goes to utter crap...

There's a different problem here - have you checked the ECM for any codes?
When the ALDL is jumped, the ECM is running off base tables, not sensor input.
I think the ECM is unhappy with a sensor or has an issue itself.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Liam45

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2018 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Liam45Click Here to Email Liam45Send a Private Message to Liam45Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I found an archived forum from 03 talking about this issue, stating that it could be the distributor not gorunding properly to the block today hopefully it stops raining after class i can go clean the block off and clean the bolt and clamp and just maybe it will run. With the aldl in bypass it doesnt require to be grounded and honestly ive yet to fully fasten it down before i pull the pin ill let ya guys know how it goes.

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 431
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2018 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

slipped balancer?

How common is a slipped balancer ring?

That would be my guess as well.

If the outer ring has slipped on the harmonic balancer, using the original timing marks with a timing light is useless. Time it by "ear" and see how it runs. (Make sure not to advance it too far. If it pings/rattles on heavy acceleration in a high gear, back off the advance a bit.) The balancer will still need to be replaced, and timing can be done "by the book" at that point.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 12-05-2018).]

Liam45

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2018 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Liam45Click Here to Email Liam45Send a Private Message to Liam45Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

That would be my guess as well.

Ill check that as well today but it runs very nicely at 10 before i remove the pin it seems very computer oriented. ive advanced and taken it back and runs very rough when trying new points.

Liam45

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2018 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Liam45Click Here to Email Liam45Send a Private Message to Liam45Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This is the forums talking about it.

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 431
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2018 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This is the forums talking about it.

"86 GT 2.8 5 sp. Symptom is erratic spark when not bypassed. Car runs rough, stalls, especially bad at cold start. After keeping it running for 1-3 minutes, SES light will come on, and car will run perfectly besides the light. If from a cold start the EST is bypassed, it will idle smoothly and not stall, and properly reduce idle as engine warms up."

Is your SES light coming on?

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2018 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoClick Here to Email Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

so it runs fine in Closed loop, But pull the clip and it won't run with the computer Controlling things." ** To FIND "True" TOP DEAD CENTER,*** you need a "Piston Stop" that is screwed into the spark plug hole. ( you can make one out of an old spark plug and a bolt). You turn the engine over BY HAND Clockwise till it touches the stop. mark the balancer. Then turn the engine over by Hand, COUNTER Clockwise until it touches the stop. Mark the balancer. TRUE "Top Dead center" is Exactly Midway "Between" the 2 marks ! MARK the balancer ( or cut a groove in it if there is Not one in the correct place) If it's NOT in the Correct place, get a new Balancer

Liam45

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2018 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Liam45Click Here to Email Liam45Send a Private Message to Liam45Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Update TDC verified car still acting same idles good with the pin in but if you try to rev it will rev fine but if you hold it there it sounds like a nasty cam, pin out same thing but it wont stay idling but will do quick clean revs but same issue when holding it at rpm. So tomorrow im going to go get the pick up tested that i bought and see if its the problem its just not making since. Thanks

Liam45

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2018 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Liam45Click Here to Email Liam45Send a Private Message to Liam45Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Also, anyway to test the distributor? Im wondering if removing the pin caused enough vibrations to break the 31 old distributor..

Liam45

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2018 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Liam45Click Here to Email Liam45Send a Private Message to Liam45Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Solved the mystery....it was the flippin distributor lol. Thanks for all the replies guys!

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2018 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Solved the mystery....it was the flippin distributor lol. Thanks for all the replies guys!

So that doesn't make much sense, does it? You replaced nearly everything in the distributor and the problem ends up to be the distributor......bad new parts?

Liam45

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2018 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Liam45Click Here to Email Liam45Send a Private Message to Liam45Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

So that doesn't make much sense, does it? You replaced nearly everything in the distributor and the problem ends up to be the distributor......bad new parts?

IKR its really weird im looking for the pick up coils receipt from autozone to return it but i put my newer icm from the older distributor in and she ran fine, im thinking the shaft was bad on the old distributor maybe a hairline crack somewhere messing with the magnetic field... its odd tho i dropped new one in the same way i took old one out and boom drive able...tomorrow i am going to use some dye penetrate to see if there is any hidden cracks in the shaft. It really could of been that pick up coil i bought all along tho ill have auto zone test it when i return it. The new distributor is a lot nicer though with its updated design so either way im going to keep it installed.

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2018 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The magnets can break and become weak. Perhaps yours was broken. Not a common problem, but it happens.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock