High flow Fuel pump on a stock engine by xzeion
Started on: 12-02-2018 01:30 PM
Replies: 6 (736 views)
Last post by: darbysan on 12-09-2018 11:00 AM
xzeion

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2018 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for xzeionClick Here to visit xzeion's HomePageSend a Private Message to xzeionEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://cdn.discordapp.com/...181202_123352444.jpg

My pump is toast. I ran the car on low fuel for a few weeks as my tank was leaking
New tank comes with another stock pump.

Can I swap out my stock pump for a Quantum 255 LPH pump (90 LPH over stock max) on an otherwise stock 2.8L v6 engine so I don't have to drop the tank again later when I want to do an engine swap?
I have a cheap ebay fuel pressure regulator that I could install ( I was reading they are actually decent to use ) but would that be required to just get the higher flow pump to work?

If its going to create a bunch of headache I can just stick with the stock fuel pump. Just looking to save some effort down the road.

------------------
87 GT in Blue
~ Drive what you love and love what you drive ~

[This message has been edited by xzeion (edited 12-02-2018).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2018 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You will be fine. The stock fuel pressure regulator will allow the excess volume to return to the tank, there is no need to add an aftermarket one.

The only real downside is that you will be cycling the fuel through the fuel lines a lot more frequently and will increase the amount of heat that is picked up from the engine (fuel rail) and returned to the tank. So the fuel in your tank will be warmer on long drives.

Not sure what your future plans are, but I am not a fan of aftermarket performance pumps.
The stock L31 Vortec truck pump will support 60+ PSI and close to 450 hp and will likely be quieter during operation and more reliable. There are other OEM pumps that will support more power if needed.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2018 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As long as your FPR is working properly, you should be fine. As mentioned above, it just means more fuel will be returned to the tank.

I also am a bit wary of aftermarket performance fuel pumps. Many of them are designed for racing, so they may sacrifice longevity for performance. If you get a stock replacement fuel pump for a more powerful engine, that shouldn't be an issue. For example, the fuel pump for the LT1 V8 is practically a direct drop-in.

Larry Nakamura

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2018 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Larry NakamuraSend a Private Message to Larry NakamuraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The one down side is the high output fuel pump makes more
noise then the stock and you definitely here it inside the car.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2018 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ironically, that Delphi pump is quieter than the stock replacement unit that it replaced. But as always, YMMV.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2018 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Technically should be ok if the regulator and return line can dump the extra fuel. Any kink in the return line maybe ok running factory type pump but choke on extra flow from high volume pump. You need to watch fuel pressure.

Dead F pump maybe a symptom of iffy wiring etc. If not fix then any new pump will die and likely soon.
See my Cave, Electric Motors
F pump will also die from running out of gas or block flow anywhere in the system. Fuel flow is lube and coolant for the pump.

"Quantum 255 LPH" is made by who? Are you Sure?
If/When buying important parts from Ebay Amazon Wish and other vendors online... Most Big names are often counterfeit. Off brands are often far worse and doesn't last long. Ebay and Amazon know they're crap but because they get huge fees hiding behind "Safe Harbor" doesn't care until gets a take down notice by a Brand for a given vendor that pops up again and soon under a new name. Most crap never gets taking down and in Amazon's case will inventory and ship the crap to get more money from a vendor. (Item will say "Sold by X, fulfilled by Amazon.")

Like your "cheap ebay fuel pressure regulator" that's cheap for a reason and may burn you and the car with no warning in a few days, weeks or months. I won't trust that on a go-cart.

Then add many "performance" parts of any type are really crap for a street car like Blacktree said.
A long same lines as an example: Brake parts have many "performance upgrades" that are crap and/or illegal for use on the street.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2018 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've used the 255 LPH pump (Walbro) and and the Delco EP381 L31 pump. The Ep381 is so much quieter- can't even hear it prime. Highly recommend it, although be aware of copy cat pumps on the market.

------------------
SCREW PHOTOBUCKET. All my pictures are now available at https://www.flickr.com/photos/156871275@N07/albums
'87 GT , '00 3800 Series II SC, 4t65e, Vue Power Steering. (SOLD)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock