Front Turn Signal convert to Lowbeam headlight by Madathlon
Started on: 11-29-2018 09:48 PM
Replies: 2 (144 views)
Last post by: Madathlon on 11-30-2018 05:38 PM
Madathlon

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2018 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadathlonSend a Private Message to MadathlonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I been thinking of doing a conversion from a turn signal assembly to headlight and found this old thread about someone doing it. But their reference link of broken (Ver old so not a real surprise)

Old thread Here

What was used was a 1997 Camaro Lowbeam bulb, but that's all I can find, the person here was looking for wiring info. (Not a issue for me) But what I want to figure out was how did they mount it and any suggestion would be nice. Before you all ask about blinkers I have that part planned out with some amber Dot LED assemblies.

------------------
Mark Silva
1987 GT 2.8 V6 5 Speed manual
"The Road trip called life starts with a flat tire and a missing jack"

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2018 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Short answer, You may get away w/ your plan locally and be stopped driving in another county or another state.

Long answer,
If you think factory lights are "dim" now, HL mounted very low won't light as design and perform worse. Is part of why Fiero hidden HL are the way they are. Is enough height to work and when open the bulbs are close to or = to same height in most other cars. (If the HL are yellow or dim then bulbs are likely old or wrong bulb used or very likely have major wiring problems in the car. See my Cave, Headlights )

Fiero Front Park/Turn bulb works w/ Front Side Marker. Just switching either/both to LED causes problems to many. Worse many including most vendors say need "load" resistors to work but the resistors eats more power then OE bulbs do. If the resistors are mounted poorly then you hope only the resistor(s) fry off. Power resistors heat can wreck other things. (Fiero and many other AC/Heat blower resistors can burn down your car. Use search to find examples and why.)
See my Cave, LED Marker Light and LED poisoning

Many states have Min and Max height allowed for HL and Many cops see a easy ticket on any "HL" mounted at or below bumper level because can say fog/driving lights on w/o Low Beam HL. Many areas have more rules like fog/driving light only in bad weather and LB HL on. (In some states "Equipment Violations" for iffy mods, dim/dead lights, and so on may have Points too and can follow you home cause home state and insurance problems. Worse if you still have other Points at home.)

Badly mod'ed park/turn/stop lights can be a ticket magnet too. Even crap LED sets from China etc wired wrong so bright side is on w/ park on and dim side for turn light can fail inspections or get you stopped. So Don't trust Ebay Amazon and Many other vendor claiming LED are "DOT approved" or = to 1157, 2057, 2357. First is almost always BS and bulb numbers may fit but many LEDs are wired "backwards" to them. Even when an aftermarket light fixture from a big name like Trucklite is "DOT approved," many are for different jobs and are labeled as such. Labeled? see Lighbulbs at bottom.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Madathlon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2018 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadathlonSend a Private Message to MadathlonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And I reject your reality and insert my own...

You missed understood my question. Wanted input on how to mount one. And also for your info. I was only looking at using low beam. And I am well aware of what the harness can and can't handle. I have already changed all the lights over to LED.

My plan is for these to be driving/DRL's once installed and I have figur3d out how I am going to wire them in.

Originally posted by theogre:

Short answer, You may get away w/ your plan locally and be stopped driving in another county or another state.

Long answer,
If you think factory lights are "dim" now, HL mounted very low won't light as design and perform worse. Is part of why Fiero hidden HL are the way they are. Is enough height to work and when open the bulbs are close to or = to same height in most other cars. (If the HL are yellow or dim then bulbs are likely old or wrong bulb used or very likely have major wiring problems in the car. See my Cave, Headlights )

Fiero Front Park/Turn bulb works w/ Front Side Marker. Just switching either/both to LED causes problems to many. Worse many including most vendors say need "load" resistors to work but the resistors eats more power then OE bulbs do. If the resistors are mounted poorly then you hope only the resistor(s) fry off. Power resistors heat can wreck other things. (Fiero and many other AC/Heat blower resistors can burn down your car. Use search to find examples and why.)
See my Cave, LED Marker Light and LED poisoning

Many states have Min and Max height allowed for HL and Many cops see a easy ticket on any "HL" mounted at or below bumper level because can say fog/driving lights on w/o Low Beam HL. Many areas have more rules like fog/driving light only in bad weather and LB HL on. (In some states "Equipment Violations" for iffy mods, dim/dead lights, and so on may have Points too and can follow you home cause home state and insurance problems. Worse if you still have other Points at home.)

Badly mod'ed park/turn/stop lights can be a ticket magnet too. Even crap LED sets from China etc wired wrong so bright side is on w/ park on and dim side for turn light can fail inspections or get you stopped. So Don't trust Ebay Amazon and Many other vendor claiming LED are "DOT approved" or = to 1157, 2057, 2357. First is almost always BS and bulb numbers may fit but many LEDs are wired "backwards" to them. Even when an aftermarket light fixture from a big name like Trucklite is "DOT approved," many are for different jobs and are labeled as such. Labeled? see Lighbulbs at bottom.

------------------
Mark Silva
1987 GT 2.8 V6 5 Speed manual
"The Road trip called life starts with a flat tire and a missing jack"

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay