Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  How to repair a totally destroyed headliner board?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
How to repair a totally destroyed headliner board? by Donster
Started on: 11-28-2018 04:08 AM
Replies: 8 (499 views)
Last post by: Lou6t4gto on 11-30-2018 02:05 PM
Donster

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2018 04:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DonsterSend a Private Message to DonsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unfortunately, the headliner board in our 88 has more or less just disolved (it is in approximately 30 odd pieces).
Shipping a replacement (plastic or fiberglass) from the Fierostore to Germany is over $300, plus the price of the actual part.
Does anyone have a suggestion, recommendation, write-up or link of how to best repair the board?
Adding the new headliner fabric is no problem, have done that multiple times, but never have been confronted with a board in such bad shape.

Thanks.

\D

------------------
Life is good!
Former President of the Georgia Fiero Club
Now in Europe and driving a Fiero again!

[This message has been edited by Donster (edited 11-28-2018).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Iain

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2018 07:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IainSend a Private Message to IainEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine was only in about 6-8 pieces, though the bit around the light and the sunvisors had almost completely disintegrated. I used gaffa tape where I could, stuck foamboard on the back with hot glue where there were bits missing, then used fibreglass resin to 'sort of ' join the remains back together. Once it was somewhat right I laminated odments of cloth on to fill the gaps and give me a workable surface, there's bits of twaron, glass and even carbon in there, just whatever I had lying about. Smoothed down any high spots with a detail sander and 80 grit, then 2 layers of glass cloth to give a smooth surface. Pulled off the foam board stiffeners and applied two coats of resin to the back. Worked well, it fitted back perfectly.
Don't have any pics I'm afraid, I covered it soon after and it's in a vac bag in my loft until I get round to using it.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2018 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My headliner wasn't in as bad a condition as yours is but I was able to repair it with fiberglass resin and cloth. If its totally destroyed and can't be fixed, the Fiero Store sells new ones but for someone buying overseas the shipping can be quite expensive.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Darrelk

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2018 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DarrelkClick Here to visit Darrelk's HomePageSend a Private Message to DarrelkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always make a "determination" on IF I am going to put one of these back together. If it is more like a jigsaw puzzle with most ot the pieces there you could give it a try.... I am a wood restorer by trade and we do enough volume that we have super glues (cyanoacrylate) made for us in several formulations/ speeds. We have an extremely thick version that rarely reacts with those headliners and also a rubber hardened version that has NO reaction with these foam chipboards. We also combo that up with an accelerator that can set the glues instantly (again a type of accelerator that doesn't react). l simply start piecing the puzzle back together using the glue to seam things together. Once the shape is done, like has been said here, I do an overall fiberglass/fine chopped matt and then some more glass cloth reinforcement. Even if parts are missing to the puzzle as long as you allow for those areas in the puzzle you can still fill in as needed with fiberglass.
Donster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2018 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DonsterSend a Private Message to DonsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Much obliged, I'll report back with either success or failure. :-)

\D

------------------
Life is good!
Former President of the Georgia Fiero Club
Now in Europe and driving a Fiero again!

carguy8t8

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2018 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carguy8t8Send a Private Message to carguy8t8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have had success using hot glue and Popsicle sticks on the back side to repair cracks and minor breaks but if your headliner is in 30 pieces then you are going to need more drastic measures.
Donster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2018 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DonsterSend a Private Message to DonsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd hate to have to eat so many popsicles to have enough popsicle sticks to apply your method!

Thnx.

\D
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2018 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Aerodonamic said he frequently used Duct or Gorilla Tape on the top side to piece things together. I suppose you could do that to hold pieces together, then turn it over and apply some resin or other bonding agent to the bottom side.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2018 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
if you have not yet taken it out. Duct tape the "entire thing" (especially around the perimeter and around the "openings". pull it out, lay is down "on something" so you maintain the" domed shape", then fiberglass mat and resin. I have made something out of nothing many times.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock