Overheated by Yorgle
Started on: 11-27-2018 09:53 AM
Replies: 6 (193 views)
Last post by: theogre on 11-29-2018 04:32 PM
Yorgle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2018 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for YorgleSend a Private Message to YorgleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The accessory belt broke on my daughter's 86 2m4 yesterday driving on the interstate. I first noticed something was wrong when I looked down and saw that the temp gauge was pegged! I was forced to continue driving for about another 2-3 miles to the next exit. Luckily, there was a muffler shop a few blocks down the frontage road and they were good enough to squeeze me in to get a new belt installed. I then drove another 90 miles home and the intrepid Duke seemed no worse for the brief baking. However, is there anything I should be watching for?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2018 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
keep an eye on the oil level for a while. When engines get REALLY hot, they stop, and many times survive that with no problems.
ItzZero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2018 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ItzZeroSend a Private Message to ItzZeroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A couple of things. Like Gall said above, watch your oil level. Also, overheating can do a number on the head or head gasket, so watch for steam in the exhaust as that means coolant is leaking into the cylinders. If your oil starts turning a light brown color, that means coolant is leaking into the oil. Both of those are bad.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2018 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would be inclined to get the oil changed as soon as it's convenient. All that heat certainly didn't help its longevity.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 11-28-2018).]

Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2018 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:
I would be inclined to get the oil changed as soon as it's convenient. All that heat certainly didn't help its longevity.

Definitely do this, I had a 2.8L overheat from a clogged radiator that exploded one of the tanks, it didn't hurt the gaskets but instead took out the main bearings.
Yorgle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2018 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for YorgleSend a Private Message to YorgleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the suggestions guys. It's been almost a week now and so far everything seems fine- no hint of antifreeze in the oil, but this weekend I think I'll change oil anyway just to be sure.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2018 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:
keep an eye on the oil level for a while. When engines get REALLY hot, they stop, and many times survive that with no problems.
that you can see...
Engines get so hot enough to stop will have problems and may not show right now.
Pistons have seized from heat have big wear problems even crack skirts and Rings are weaker or even broken too.

Even if not burning oil, often have more blow by to crank and less power after baking the rings even without engine overheating to stop working.

Belt(s) broke are 1 or both main things:
Belt installed too tight or lose.
Driven items, alt and WP here, have problems.

See my Cave, Serpent Belt V belts have most of same problems and tension data there.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock