Pop-up headlight possible fix by Phlebmaster
Started on: 11-26-2018 08:23 PM
Replies: 4 (454 views)
Last post by: Phlebmaster on 11-26-2018 10:21 PM
Phlebmaster

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2018 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhlebmasterSend a Private Message to PhlebmasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello,

I wanted to share something I discovered when diagnosing headlight issues on my 86 GT. The switch on the dash would occasionally activate the driver side motor to raise the headlight but not the passenger side. I am sure this fix could work for the opposite side too. Your motors must be in working order for this to solve the problem, but it worked for me. I had to manually raise them and then unplug that single wire connector next to the motors under the hood to keep them up but they would lower automatically when I plugged that wire back together.

There are contacts behind the instrument cluster that seem to get corrosion. The main culprit for me was the driver side connection behind the speedometer. I pulled the dash apart to get to it but after I cleaned all of the connectors and reinserted them into the cluster both headlights started working perfectly again.

If you are diagnosing an intermittent pop-up motor malfunction or can't get your headlights up raise and lower with the light switch...check your connections to the cluster. Not just the switch connector... I cleaned them off (they had green gunk) on the connections. I was pretty frustrated until I discovered this but they work every time now. Make sure all of the headlight connectors are reconnected under the hood too.

Be careful because the plastic circuit board could be brittle and moves around a bit when removing/inserting the connectors.

Hope this helps...

------------------
Aaron H
1986 Fiero GT 2.8- A dream car of mine since childhood- Stock now, but looking for creative options to upgrade this wonderful car
2000 Caddy Deville- Has the Northstar- possible donor engine

[This message has been edited by Phlebmaster (edited 11-26-2018).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2018 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad you got you headlights working.....

FYI, the plugs on the cluster circuit board have nothing to do with the headlight motor actuation system.
Phlebmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2018 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhlebmasterSend a Private Message to PhlebmasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Glad you got you headlights working.....

FYI, the plugs on the cluster circuit board have nothing to do with the headlight motor actuation system.

Thank you for that detail, I appreciate it. I wasn't aware of that, but it seemed odd that it worked after cleaning those connections. Maybe it was just good luck after my persistence... haha

------------------
Aaron H
1986 Fiero GT 2.8- A dream car of mine since childhood- Stock now, but looking for creative options to upgrade this wonderful car

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2018 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Old electrical connections do benefit from unplugging and replugging.
Phlebmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2018 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhlebmasterSend a Private Message to PhlebmasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Old electrical connections do benefit from unplugging and replugging.

True story! I was amazed at how much corrosion was there. It is nice to have those headlights working now for sure. I read a lot of posts here and there with frustrated peeps trying to sort this type of issue out.

I still need to fix my tach, temp gauge, radiator fan switch and a few other electrical gremlins. I love this car... even with the "character" that goes with them. There's a good group here to help

------------------
Aaron H

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock