Coolant Hose Leak by Johnny-T
Started on: 11-26-2018 04:55 AM
Replies: 13 (197 views)
Last post by: fierosound on 12-01-2018 11:17 AM
Johnny-T

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2018 04:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Johnny-TClick Here to Email Johnny-TSend a Private Message to Johnny-TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hello all. I need help identifying a specific coolant hose that I need to try and replace. I am a fairly new owner and I haven't quite learned as much about these cars as I have my other classics. First a little backstory:

Recently was doing an oil change on my '87 Fiero and I noticed I had coolant leak from one of the hoses near the back of the engine. It was only creating a tiny drip in the garage every couple of days so I figured it wasn't urgent. My wife is the one that daily drives it and last week after driving to work she told me the "coolant light" had been coming on a few days in a row. I explained I knew it had a leak and that I would check the coolant when she got home. She then sent me a picture of the temp light on and the temperature gauge maxed out hotter than I thought possible. I immediately drove to her work and discovered the coolant was bone dry. I filled it up and so far the rest of this week she has had no issues with the temp. I decided to take the car out on a quick drive to see if I could get an idea of how much coolant its losing. After a 15 drive I arrived home and noticed a small trail of drips all the way up my driveway. After the car sat for an hour, I had a nice puddle of coolant flowing down the driveway from under the rear end. The coolant level is still good but it does appear to have gone down quite a bit from filling it last week.

The hose in question appears to have a metal end that self clamps to the bottom left of the engine. The coolant is leaking from this connection point and then drips down on the exhaust and finally rolls down onto the ground. I cant seem to find a replacement for this hose and thought someone could help point me in the right direction. Is there a specific name for this type of self clamping hose that I'm not aware of?

I have a great mechanic that does all the work on my Delorean and he said he should have no problems replacing the hose for me if I can find the correct part. Please take a look at the photos (hopefully I uploaded the links correctly) and let me know what you all think. Thanks.

https://ibb.co/LvXKBMP

https://ibb.co/c1mmzqS

IP: Logged

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2018 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageClick Here to Email fierosoundSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No pics that I can see.
Are they available for 'public' viewing?

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 12-01-2018).]

Johnny-T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2018 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Johnny-TClick Here to Email Johnny-TSend a Private Message to Johnny-TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If you click the links I added they should pop up. They work for me even when I'm not signed in. It's my first time trying to upload photos on a forum.

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 312
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2018 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaClick Here to Email Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Those hoses are called "engine to pipe" hoses. The hoses in the front are called radiator hoses. Replacing those hoses is an easy fix, you just remove the clamp pull the hose off , put the new one in place and clamp tight. The Fiero Store stocks them and you may find them at NAPA or Rock Auto. I would not wait to replace them and if all the hoses are original to the car replace them now. If the hoses let go on the road my wife would probably keep driving until engine damage resulted.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 11-26-2018).]

Johnny-T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2018 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Johnny-TClick Here to Email Johnny-TSend a Private Message to Johnny-TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Those hoses are called "engine to pipe" hoses. The hoses in the front are called radiator hoses. Replacing those hoses is an easy fix, you just remove the clamp pull the hose off , put the new one in place and clamp tight. The Fiero Store stocks them and you may find them at NAPA or Rock Auto. I would not wait to replace them and if all the hoses are original to the car replace them now. If the hoses let go on the road my wife would probably keep driving until engine damage resulted.

Is there a specific size or type I need? Maybe a specific part number for this exact hose? The other end of the hose looks to be attached with just a normal hose clamp but I want to make sure I'm looking up the correct hose for the correct location.

Luckily my wife was only driving a few mins to and from work so she didn't run into any worse problems. But I think after the leak is fixed I'm going to take over driving the Fiero for awhile. Haha.

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2018 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

https://www.fierostore.com/...rowse.aspx?d=143&p=1

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 312
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2018 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaClick Here to Email Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

https://www.fierostore.com/...rowse.aspx?d=143&p=1

Part #52325 Part #52331 or Part #52328
Just chose the hose for with or w/o A/C accordingly ,maybe match up from the pictures to check

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Johnny-T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2018 02:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Johnny-TClick Here to Email Johnny-TSend a Private Message to Johnny-TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The problem I'm having is that even the hoses from the Fiero Store dont appear to be the correct hoses for replacing the one that's leaking.

If you look back at my photo, you can see that there is a short metal 90 degree pipe that is connected to the rubber hose with what looks like a metal quick connect. It is this metal quick connect piece on the end of the rubber hose that is corroded and leaking. I see the Fiero Store also has replacements for these quick connections, but they dont exactly match the one on my car. My mechanic thought maybe the hose itself came with this metal piece attached on one end which is why he suggested I try to track one down and make sure it is the correct connection type for this location. None of the hoses on the store come with this piece. Are the hoses and the metal quick connect sold as separate parts? If so, I may not need to replace the hose. But again, none of the metal connections match the one I have so In not sure if they are the correct part.

Maybe the original hose came with the metal piece attached but now you buy them separately? I just cant seem to find the exact one that looks like mine anywhere and I'm hoping someone that is more knowledgeable with Fieros can help with confirming if this is indeed a specific part I need to find or if I just get a replacement hose and a new quick connect.

Hopefully this explains a bit more about what it is I need clarification on.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2018 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageClick Here to Email fierosoundSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I see everyone is still guessing at what you need, so I'm posting your picture below.

That's the heater coolant hose quick-connect fitting on the bottom of the Duke intake manifold.
A replacement fitting is MotorMite/Dorman PN 800-401. It looks a little different than the OE fitting.
More here: http://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...070315-2-077171.html

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 11-28-2018).]

donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2018 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Click Here to Email donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Once you get that leak fixed, I wanna see pics of the DeLorean!

Johnny-T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2018 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Johnny-TClick Here to Email Johnny-TSend a Private Message to Johnny-TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

I see everyone is still guessing at what you need, so I'm posting your picture below.

That's the heater coolant hose quick-connect fitting on the bottom of the Duke intake manifold.
A replacement fitting is MotorMite/Dorman PN 800-401. It looks a little different than the OE fitting.
More here: http://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...070315-2-077171.html

Thank you. That helps a great deal. I looked up the Dorman part and it looks to be the same as the one sold on The Fiero Store page other members have linked to above. Am I correct in assuming so?

The difference in appearances is what was throwing me off.

My only remaining questions are:

1. Should I also replace the hose itself or will I just need the quick connect fitting? (As I mentioned earlier, I thought the original fitting was attached to the rubber hose so I'm not sure if I can reuse the same hose with the new fitting.)

2. Is that 90 degree metal pipe that is in between the rubber hose and manifold part of the original fitting or is it a part of the manifold? (Basically will the new parts connect horizontally into that bent short metal pipe, or will that pipe also be removed and the new part screws upwards into the manifold itself?)

3. Will the new part just screw into the treads on the manifold once the old parts are removed? Or should I plan on having to go through the entire process as described in the link you provided?

Thanks again for the info.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2018 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageClick Here to Email fierosoundSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Johnny-T:

Thank you. That helps a great deal. I looked up the Dorman part and it looks to be the same as the one sold on The Fiero Store page other members have linked to above. Am I correct in assuming so?

The difference in appearances is what was throwing me off.

My only remaining questions are:

1. Should I also replace the hose itself or will I just need the quick connect fitting? (As I mentioned earlier, I thought the original fitting was attached to the rubber hose so I'm not sure if I can reuse the same hose with the new fitting.)

2. Is that 90 degree metal pipe that is in between the rubber hose and manifold part of the original fitting or is it a part of the manifold? (Basically will the new parts connect horizontally into that bent short metal pipe, or will that pipe also be removed and the new part screws upwards into the manifold itself?)

3. Will the new part just screw into the treads on the manifold once the old parts are removed? Or should I plan on having to go through the entire process as described in the link you provided?

Thanks again for the info.

Sorry, I don't have first hand experience with this.
I just knew that there was a thread on how to fix it and looked it up.

Maybe someone who's done this can pipe up...

Johnny-T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2018 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Johnny-TClick Here to Email Johnny-TSend a Private Message to Johnny-TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Sorry, I don't have first hand experience with this.
I just knew that there was a thread on how to fix it and looked it up.

Maybe someone who's done this can pipe up...

No problem. I used the Dorman part as a starting point and spent several hours looking for the correct hose that connects into the quick fitting. Finally found what I needed locally and I am waiting for my mechanic to finish her up now. We discovered my confusion was caused partly because there were several smaller heater hoses connected together that shouldn't have been set up that way. At first we thought the new hose I bought was too long and just needed to be cut to length, but turns out it is the exact right fit. So now I am getting this particular hose back to how it should have been and taking out all the backyard work someone did in the past. Also replacing my thermostat because it was really rusted out.

I really appreciate the help on that Dorman part. Took a bit more searching but that info lead me to my solution.

Thanks again.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2018 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageClick Here to Email fierosoundSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock