V6 iron cylinder head by lordfiero
Started on: 11-25-2018 10:34 AM
Replies: 26 (397 views)
Last post by: Notorio on 12-03-2018 11:38 PM
lordfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2018 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lordfieroClick Here to Email lordfieroSend a Private Message to lordfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

New member, new thread
Lets talk about the fiero heads..

IP: Logged

lordfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2018 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lordfieroClick Here to Email lordfieroSend a Private Message to lordfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I did have plans to port the heads while the engine is in pieces..

The intake ports are typical GM 80s design, in this case steering the flow upwards and sideways via the blob in the middle of the passage, somewhat like the swirl ports on the 350 smallblocks(TBI version) althoug the intention of that one was creating a vortec.

the exhaust port definetly looks worse than the intake, the runner is not straight (at all) and there is a hump blocking the flow. This is probably a consequence of the spark plug location interfering with the exhaust port. Hmm

lordfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2018 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lordfieroClick Here to Email lordfieroSend a Private Message to lordfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And this is what happens when trying to machine the hump to flatness.. and shape the port to a modern D-shape.

The extruding part of the hump is the wall, there is no additional metal behind it.. Everything looked ok until the last pass in the mill but Im glad I found out, otherwise I would have walls as thin as a hair out to the coolant. That would have been a catastrophe waiting to happen..
So heads up for that one if you plan to port these heads.

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2018 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageClick Here to Email BlacktreeSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What you did with the exhaust port looks similar to how I ported mine. My main goal was to create a flat floor in the exhaust port, from the valve bowl out to the header. And as you mentioned, one has to be careful not to cut into a water passage, or the spark plug recess.

On the intake, don't remove that fin in the center. This seems counter-intuitive, but that fin increases flow by about 15%. That said, it might be a good idea to sharpen the leading edge, to reduce aero drag. There are some gains to be made from smoothing out the valve guide area. There are big hunks of metal sticking out into the airflow path. Plus the transition from valve bowl to runner is pretty ugly.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 11-25-2018).]

lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2018 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasClick Here to Email lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I ported mine 1.25" if you wanted to D port them, you may have to twist where you bore to avoid such issues. The AL heads have twisted bores as well.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2018 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageClick Here to Email BlacktreeSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou_dias: ...if you wanted to D port them, you may have to twist where you bore to avoid such issues.

Yeah, I had to do that.

lordfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2018 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lordfieroClick Here to Email lordfieroSend a Private Message to lordfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Great to see some pictures of other porting jobs and hear your experinece of this!
Yes the runner tilts approx 7 degrees sideways so cutting at that angle would probably been better but then I have to watch the opposite wall instead :/ I may try somewhere between...

lordfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2018 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lordfieroClick Here to Email lordfieroSend a Private Message to lordfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lets have a closer look inside the head

lordfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2018 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lordfieroClick Here to Email lordfieroSend a Private Message to lordfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fiero head surgery

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2018 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasClick Here to Email lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I assume for educational purposes...

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2018 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadClick Here to Email olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Can't wait for more pics!

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 233
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2018 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillClick Here to Email WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I still have some of the Falconer ported iron heads, if you want a pair.

lordfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2018 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lordfieroClick Here to Email lordfieroSend a Private Message to lordfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes, at least it may be educational for anyone intrested in casting pictures and valves&springs..

Thank you Will, not at the moment but its always good to have a backup plan! Im also thinking alu heads if this doesnt work out

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2018 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageClick Here to Email BlacktreeSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lordfiero:

Thank you Will, not at the moment but its always good to have a backup plan! Im also thinking alu heads if this doesnt work out

Too bad my Falconer intake doesn't fit the alloy heads. If it did, I'd switch in a heartbeat.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 448
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2018 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here are the heads that I had ported for my 3.4.

And the intake ported to match.

La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2018 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lift " - stock - ported - R/A alum
.200 - 116.90 - 117.8 - 124.1
.300 - 133.60 - 139.4 - 148.9
.400 - 146.96 - 158.6 - 164.8
.500 - 146.96 - 165.7 - 169.9
.550 - 146.96 - 166.5 - 170.6
.600 - 146.96 - 166.5 - 170.6

I found this on an archive here at Pennocks. It is Oreif's stock and ported heads vs aluminum stock heads. Not bad!

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2018 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageClick Here to Email BlacktreeSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Notice how well the alloy heads flow at low valve lift. Combine that with a roller cam profile, and you get an engine that breathes really well.

88Fingers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2018 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FingersClick Here to Email 88FingersSend a Private Message to 88FingersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nice Porting job Raydar! PM sent

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2018 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillClick Here to Email WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:
And the intake ported to match.

Looks like they didn't even touch the injector bosses.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 448
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2018 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:
Looks like they didn't even touch the injector bosses.

This was a Darrell Morse porting job. Probably one of the last ones he did.

The edge of the port used to block one side of the "spray cone" very badly. It is very much unshrouded from how is was. (Wish I had a pic of a stock intake.)

La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2018 07:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This is how I ported and matched mine.

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2018 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageClick Here to Email BlacktreeSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here's what the stock ports look like, at the bottom of the LIM. It's astonishing how much material they left in there.

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2018 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillClick Here to Email WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That's a huge change in the port's cross-sectional area.

lordfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2018 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lordfieroClick Here to Email lordfieroSend a Private Message to lordfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here is the exhaust port, sorry about the rotation of this picture, i did change it to horizontal but somehow its vertical again..

ant the intake port

Note that this is the centre cut from a circular X-section, so it may look likes more metal than it actually is on some places. I do think i hit the cente line of the ports pretty good.

lordfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2018 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lordfieroClick Here to Email lordfieroSend a Private Message to lordfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thin cast design and water channels everywhere.. It will be a challenge to make any major changes of the ports, but trimming and minor adjustments looks quite easy.
Its nice to see the pictures of other ports, and the la fiera dyno looks promising for modifying this engine!

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2018 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasClick Here to Email lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lordfiero:

Here is the exhaust port, sorry about the rotation of this picture, i did change it to horizontal but somehow its vertical again..

ant the intake port

Note that this is the centre cut from a circular X-section, so it may look likes more metal than it actually is on some places. I do think i hit the cente line of the ports pretty good.

On the intake: most people will look at this and think that bump is a restriction but it's just the vane to divert air around the valve stem...

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 12-03-2018).]

Notorio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2018 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Those cross sections are amazing! So looking at the restrictions, sharp edges, and very rough surface finish, what do you think is more important, Porting or Polishing???

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock