V6 iron cylinder head by lordfiero
Started on: 11-25-2018 10:34 AM
Replies: 115 (3517 views)
Last post by: lou_dias on 07-07-2019 02:27 PM
lordfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2018 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lordfieroSend a Private Message to lordfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New member, new thread
Lets talk about the fiero heads..

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
lordfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2018 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lordfieroSend a Private Message to lordfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did have plans to port the heads while the engine is in pieces..

The intake ports are typical GM 80s design, in this case steering the flow upwards and sideways via the blob in the middle of the passage, somewhat like the swirl ports on the 350 smallblocks(TBI version) althoug the intention of that one was creating a vortec.

the exhaust port definetly looks worse than the intake, the runner is not straight (at all) and there is a hump blocking the flow. This is probably a consequence of the spark plug location interfering with the exhaust port. Hmm

lordfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2018 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lordfieroSend a Private Message to lordfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

lordfiero

53 posts
Member since Nov 2018
And this is what happens when trying to machine the hump to flatness.. and shape the port to a modern D-shape.

The extruding part of the hump is the wall, there is no additional metal behind it.. Everything looked ok until the last pass in the mill but Im glad I found out, otherwise I would have walls as thin as a hair out to the coolant. That would have been a catastrophe waiting to happen..
So heads up for that one if you plan to port these heads.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2018 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What you did with the exhaust port looks similar to how I ported mine. My main goal was to create a flat floor in the exhaust port, from the valve bowl out to the header. And as you mentioned, one has to be careful not to cut into a water passage, or the spark plug recess.

On the intake, don't remove that fin in the center. This seems counter-intuitive, but that fin increases flow by about 15%. That said, it might be a good idea to sharpen the leading edge, to reduce aero drag. There are some gains to be made from smoothing out the valve guide area. There are big hunks of metal sticking out into the airflow path. Plus the transition from valve bowl to runner is pretty ugly.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 11-25-2018).]

lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2018 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ported mine 1.25" if you wanted to D port them, you may have to twist where you bore to avoid such issues. The AL heads have twisted bores as well.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2018 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou_dias: ...if you wanted to D port them, you may have to twist where you bore to avoid such issues.

Yeah, I had to do that.
lordfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2018 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lordfieroSend a Private Message to lordfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great to see some pictures of other porting jobs and hear your experinece of this!
Yes the runner tilts approx 7 degrees sideways so cutting at that angle would probably been better but then I have to watch the opposite wall instead :/ I may try somewhere between...

lordfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2018 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lordfieroSend a Private Message to lordfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

lordfiero

53 posts
Member since Nov 2018

Lets have a closer look inside the head
lordfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2018 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lordfieroSend a Private Message to lordfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fiero head surgery

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2018 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I assume for educational purposes...
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2018 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can't wait for more pics!
PFF
System Bot
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2018 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I still have some of the Falconer ported iron heads, if you want a pair.
lordfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2018 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lordfieroSend a Private Message to lordfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, at least it may be educational for anyone intrested in casting pictures and valves&springs..

Thank you Will, not at the moment but its always good to have a backup plan! Im also thinking alu heads if this doesnt work out
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2018 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lordfiero:

Thank you Will, not at the moment but its always good to have a backup plan! Im also thinking alu heads if this doesnt work out

Too bad my Falconer intake doesn't fit the alloy heads. If it did, I'd switch in a heartbeat.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2018 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are the heads that I had ported for my 3.4.

And the intake ported to match.

La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2018 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lift " - stock - ported - R/A alum
.200 - 116.90 - 117.8 - 124.1
.300 - 133.60 - 139.4 - 148.9
.400 - 146.96 - 158.6 - 164.8
.500 - 146.96 - 165.7 - 169.9
.550 - 146.96 - 166.5 - 170.6
.600 - 146.96 - 166.5 - 170.6

I found this on an archive here at Pennocks. It is Oreif's stock and ported heads vs aluminum stock heads. Not bad!
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2018 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Notice how well the alloy heads flow at low valve lift. Combine that with a roller cam profile, and you get an engine that breathes really well.
88Fingers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2018 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FingersSend a Private Message to 88FingersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice Porting job Raydar! PM sent
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2018 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:
And the intake ported to match.

Looks like they didn't even touch the injector bosses.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2018 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:
Looks like they didn't even touch the injector bosses.

This was a Darrell Morse porting job. Probably one of the last ones he did.

The edge of the port used to block one side of the "spray cone" very badly. It is very much unshrouded from how is was. (Wish I had a pic of a stock intake.)
La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2018 07:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This is how I ported and matched mine.
PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2018 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's what the stock ports look like, at the bottom of the LIM. It's astonishing how much material they left in there.

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2018 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's a huge change in the port's cross-sectional area.
lordfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2018 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lordfieroSend a Private Message to lordfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is the exhaust port, sorry about the rotation of this picture, i did change it to horizontal but somehow its vertical again..

ant the intake port

Note that this is the centre cut from a circular X-section, so it may look likes more metal than it actually is on some places. I do think i hit the cente line of the ports pretty good.
lordfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2018 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lordfieroSend a Private Message to lordfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

lordfiero

53 posts
Member since Nov 2018
Thin cast design and water channels everywhere.. It will be a challenge to make any major changes of the ports, but trimming and minor adjustments looks quite easy.
Its nice to see the pictures of other ports, and the la fiera dyno looks promising for modifying this engine!
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2018 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lordfiero:

Here is the exhaust port, sorry about the rotation of this picture, i did change it to horizontal but somehow its vertical again..

ant the intake port

Note that this is the centre cut from a circular X-section, so it may look likes more metal than it actually is on some places. I do think i hit the cente line of the ports pretty good.

On the intake: most people will look at this and think that bump is a restriction but it's just the vane to divert air around the valve stem...

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 12-03-2018).]

Notorio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2018 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those cross sections are amazing! So looking at the restrictions, sharp edges, and very rough surface finish, what do you think is more important, Porting or Polishing???
lordfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2019 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lordfieroSend a Private Message to lordfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fiero intake valve (original, 1.72")

Fiero exhaust valve (original, 1.42")
lordfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2019 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lordfieroSend a Private Message to lordfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

lordfiero

53 posts
Member since Nov 2018

Chevy small block intake valve 1.94"
As the picture shows, there is no possibility to clear the throat enough to match this valve diameter..

Chevy small block exhaust valve 1.5"

Similar stems, diamter is the same but the chevy is slightly longer.
You can not have 1.94" and 1.5" at the same time, they collide. One OR the other together with fiero size is (probably..) fine.
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2019 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Notorio: Those cross sections are amazing! So looking at the restrictions, sharp edges, and very rough surface finish, what do you think is more important, Porting or Polishing???

On these heads, the ports need to be reshaped for better flow. If you just polish the existing (crappy) port shape, you're not going to get much.
sledcaddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2019 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sledcaddieSend a Private Message to sledcaddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does any aftermarket company make good replacement heads for a Fiero?
PFF
System Bot
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2019 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I still have some of the old Falconer race heads and maybe even a set of Ti valves.

Better heads just came on better engines.
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2019 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will: Better heads just came on better engines.

Yes, like the 3100 / 3400 V6.
lordfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2019 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lordfieroSend a Private Message to lordfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did a temporary fix on the hole (see above) in the exhaust port and smoothed the edges of the cut for some flow research..

Vertical axis=CFM at 28" water
Horizontal axis=mm valve lift (25.4mm is 1inch)
Im note 100% sure of absolute values since the flow bench is not calibrated but relative values (comparisons in the same set up) are accurate, and this is what I want to measure.

This is original exhaust port compared the widened port. Note only 1/3 of the total port length is widened so far..

After that I replaced the 1.42" valve with the 1.5" valve without any of the necessary modifications, slightly worse as expected.

Finally I reversed the valve upside down with only the stem in the exhaust port to see if the valve itself is a restriction at max lift, the conclusion is that it is not at these flows.

lordfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2019 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lordfieroSend a Private Message to lordfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The work goes on..

This is after removing som metal in the bowl area with CNC machine (only 3 axis so some manual Dremel machining follows below.)

And starting to clean up edges

Next step of cleaning and restoring some of the inner radius shape that got lost during material removal

All ends up in these flow numbers. Im kind of annoyed with the loss of low lift flow but the peak numbers ( @ 0.53" valve lift) are up 32CFM from the original standard port and the last version of the modified port would climb even higher with more pressure.
Notorio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2019 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's not clear to me from the pictures ... how much of the valve guide did you remove? In the heads I'm doing I just smoothed the sharp edges into a radius, with not very much material removed.
lordfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2019 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lordfieroSend a Private Message to lordfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Notorio:

It's not clear to me from the pictures ... how much of the valve guide did you remove? In the heads I'm doing I just smoothed the sharp edges into a radius, with not very much material removed.

I removed half of the valve guide, the outer half was shaped into a steep slope. Nice to see someone is reading
BTW if you smoothen the bowl and keeping the stock shape it is probably a good idea not to touch the area just above the valve guide, there is a small hump there. I think it is to improve the flow past the valve guide. It may be seen in the cosscuts pictures.

[This message has been edited by lordfiero (edited 01-27-2019).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2019 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are the four new traces different from the two traces on the prior graph?
lordfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2019 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lordfieroSend a Private Message to lordfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

Are the four new traces different from the two traces on the prior graph?

Yes, "big runner" from last graph is the same as "D-port". I do plan to measure other port shapes so that is the reason for the name change .
lordfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2019 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lordfieroSend a Private Message to lordfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

lordfiero

53 posts
Member since Nov 2018
I added a higher lift measure point on the last graph to see where the "d-port and bowl step 2" port maxxed out
178 CFM to be exact.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock