3.1 minivan timing cover and serpentine belt by carguy8t8
Started on: 11-15-2018 10:42 AM
Replies: 10 (400 views)
Last post by: carguy8t8 on 12-08-2018 10:04 AM
carguy8t8

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2018 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carguy8t8Send a Private Message to carguy8t8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone managed to swap a timing cover with serpentine belt system from the early 90's minivans? I have a surplus 3.1 engine with this timing cover and would love to make it work.

[This message has been edited by carguy8t8 (edited 11-15-2018).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2018 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you looking at doing this solely for having an idler/tensioner pulley?

[This message has been edited by Spadesluck (edited 11-16-2018).]

cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2018 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I may be wrong. I cant tell what heads you have. Or if it had a distributor. But I think the timing cover would not be the biggest issue here.
The intake from a 2.8 Fiero will only work on a 3.1/3.4 with cast iron heads. 3.1s with throttle body injection had cast heads. Or most that I had seen.
Later model 3.1 used multiport like used on Luminas and looked very close to the late 2.8s. That I'm aware, All the aluminum head van engines were distributor less ignition with different intake port design. I have never seen an aluminum head GM 60 degree engine(2.8,3.1,3.4)that would accept a Fiero intake manifold.

[This message has been edited by cmechmann (edited 11-16-2018).]

carguy8t8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2018 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carguy8t8Send a Private Message to carguy8t8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would be doing this to get the tensioner as well as the advantage of the one serpentine belt system.
carguy8t8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2018 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carguy8t8Send a Private Message to carguy8t8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

carguy8t8

155 posts
Member since Apr 2010

Originally posted by cmechmann:

I may be wrong. I cant tell what heads you have. Or if it had a distributor. But I think the timing cover would not be the biggest issue here.
The intake from a 2.8 Fiero will only work on a 3.1/3.4 with cast iron heads. 3.1s with throttle body injection had cast heads. Or most that I had seen.
Later model 3.1 used multiport like used on Luminas and looked very close to the late 2.8s. That I'm aware, All the aluminum head van engines were distributor less ignition with different intake port design. I have never seen an aluminum head GM 60 degree engine(2.8,3.1,3.4)that would accept a Fiero intake manifold.

Yes it has the cast iron heads.

Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2018 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just another option for a tensioner is you can look up the user dodgerunner, he made a nice tensioner for the 2.8's. I have one.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2018 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carguy8t8:

I would be doing this to get the tensioner as well as the advantage of the one serpentine belt system.

Other than A/C equipped Fieros (which all have an additional V-belt), is there a Fiero 2.8 that doesn't have a "one serpentine belt system"?

And as mentioned, Dodgerunner sells a 2.8 belt tensioner that is absolutely first class.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-16-2018).]

cmechmann

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2018 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm taking that you want to use this engine but with the Fiero 2.8 water pump, Alternator brackets?
Then I think you are OK. [URL=https://www.ebay.com/i/253176346435?chn=ps.] will need to round up bolts. I think the ones on that engine are going to be different lengths.

[This message has been edited by cmechmann (edited 11-18-2018).]

carguy8t8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2018 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carguy8t8Send a Private Message to carguy8t8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is likely going to require a decklid notch!!

Has anybody made this work??

[This message has been edited by carguy8t8 (edited 12-06-2018).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2018 03:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carguy8t8:

Has anybody made this work??

This is likely going to require a decklid notch!!

You may've answered your own question as to why possibly no one's previously done this!

Is there a reason in the vehicles that this assembly was originally used that the alternator was held up so high?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 12-07-2018).]

carguy8t8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2018 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carguy8t8Send a Private Message to carguy8t8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Is there a reason in the vehicles that this assembly was originally used that the alternator was held up so high?"

In the early 90's minivans there was plenty of room to mount the alternator up high. That being said it is directly above the valve cover so it can't be lowered very much.

What about a smaller modern alternator?? Some of these newer cars have smaller alternators on them.

I could easily reduce energy consumption with LED headlights and running lights.

[This message has been edited by carguy8t8 (edited 12-08-2018).]

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock