Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Only CEL comes on for bulb test with key on?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Only CEL comes on for bulb test with key on? by Mavrick1798
Started on: 11-13-2018 03:52 PM
Replies: 13 (215 views)
Last post by: cebix on 11-15-2018 01:23 PM
Mavrick1798

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2018 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mavrick1798Send a Private Message to Mavrick1798Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey everyone! New to this forum and hoping to get some assistance with electrical issues! I have a 1986 fiero gt auto and everytime I turn the key to "on" position before cranking the engine there should be the "Bulb test" where all dash warning lights come on. My problem is that only the check engine light illuminates with the key on. As far as I can see both turn signal lights in the dash work when in use as well as the ajar, parking brake, and high beam light. Any idea why none of the bulbs come on with the key on? Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2018 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not all of mine flash when I start the car. Wasn't aware they were supposed to. I am sure someone else will chim in on this.
wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2018 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The ones that are supposed to come on are:

Seatbelt (it goes off after a few seconds)
CEL

If you have them:
Volts
Oil

That's it.
Mavrick1798

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2018 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mavrick1798Send a Private Message to Mavrick1798Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh well I could be mistaken! I saw a video of someone starting their fiero up and all dash warning lights came on for a second then went away just like most cars. If those are the only ones that come on then I have nothing to worry about. Thank you!
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2018 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wgpierce:

The ones that are supposed to come on are:

Seatbelt (it goes off after a few seconds)
CEL

If you have them:
Volts
Oil

That's it.

Good call on the oil/volts. I got so used to those lighting up I didn't group them in with the rest.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2018 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Key On and Bulb Test are ≠
Bulb Test is just before Start and on spring for start the car. IOW you can't just let key on w/o turning to almost start.
If your car doesn't have temp light/gauge fix then gauge should peg and light nothing when you hit bulbtest/start. If have full fix then opposite should happen. Many just cut temp gauge wire and never bother w/ the light and do nothing for the Bulb Test.

CEL BAT and SB lights are Not on Bulb Test line on ignition switch.
CEL is on when ECM is on and engine not running.
SB light is a function of blue dingy thingy and always on for 5-10 sec. See my Cave, Chime Unit
BAT is for the Alternator and on when engine not running.

If these light(s) won't turn on as said above then have other problems.
Can be a lot of things including bad bulbs, bulb sockets, etc, in the dash. see //www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/138175.html#p1

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2018 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The BRAKE warning light comes on in bulb test.
wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2018 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

The BRAKE warning light comes on in bulb test.

Owners manual says it comes on "Briefly during starting" so it doesn't come on with first key on engine off, but does when you crank. (Briefly)
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2018 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Factory Service Manual wiring diagram for an 86 shows differently.
If you have a FSM, please refer to pages 8A-41-0 and 8A-41-2.
And all five Fieros here exhibit this function.
wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2018 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK I will look in my 87 FSM. Just checking but you don't have the brake engaged when you ran that test? Cause it will for sure be on when you turn the key to run
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2018 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Page 8A-41-2 explains the KEY OFF, BULB CHECK & KEY ON functions.

PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2018 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

olejoedad

17911 posts
Member since May 2004
Sorry, can't post pics...
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2018 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, Brake light should be On in Bulb Test, Not On w/ Key On. If Not On in Bulb Test then pull E-brake handle, Still Not On then check Bulb/Socket in the dash.
Alt test is jump the combi valve switch wire near Brake MC to ground and see if Brake Light is On.
(Manual Trans w/ Power Trunk option may cause Brake Light On when you push the Trunk switch.)

Key Positions/Functions are:
Acc/Lock Off/Lock Off On BulbTest Start
Lock = SW Lock. Last two have a spring inside the I switch to force return to On.

Note that the Last two overlap Bulb Test w/ Start but Bulb Test is it's own position and if you turn the key slow you should see this before Starting.

Is same on most US made vehicles back to at lest the 70's. Partly because GM/Saginaw columns are/were used in many Ford and Chrysler vehicles.

Some cars have switch Off/lock Off and Acc but others are same for most of them.
cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2018 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I didn't notice this for a long time.

Look at the dash when you CRANK. Temperature and brake idiot lights will stay lit when you crank the engine - this is the bulb test. Not oil/seatbelt lights when just ignition is on.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock