Stuttering / Dieing, fast idle, poor MPG by Acroyer
Started on: 11-12-2018 04:03 PM
Replies: 7 (146 views)
Last post by: Fiero2m4Fastback on 11-16-2018 09:00 PM
Acroyer

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2018 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AcroyerSend a Private Message to AcroyerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys,

So, I just brought home my new to me 88 GT that my parents owned. It sat for 2 years, and we replaced the fuel pump just recently.

I had driven it a short distance, in town and highway, with no problems. Then, I got on the highway and drove 100 miles. When I pulled off of the highway and slowed down to stop, the car sputtered, jerked, and died.
it would start right back up, but putting it into drive killed it. I eventually got it started, got to a gas station, filled up, and the car acted normally for another 50 miles. Then, same thing.
When in park with the engine warm, it tachs 1200 rpm. When driving on the highway at 70mph, it tachs 3500 rpm. That seems like a lot, but maybe that's ok.

My first thought is a vacuum leak, like maybe something came loose while on the long drive. Just looking at the top of the engine, nothing jumps out at me.

Any suggestions on what to look for?

Thanks!
Tony
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2018 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
3 speed automatic? If so, do some searching on the TCC.....a lock-up switch on the transmission.
Acroyer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2018 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AcroyerSend a Private Message to AcroyerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, yes, it is an automatic.

Thanks, I'll check it out.
Acroyer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2018 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AcroyerSend a Private Message to AcroyerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Acroyer

42 posts
Member since Sep 2018
Aha! This from the Fiero Store:

"You may need a new torque converter solenoid if the automatic transmission in your Fiero shutters and/or stalls when you come to a stop. When the factory solenoid fails it will not disengage the torque converter and cause the shutter/stall. The solenoid is located just inside the tranny pan."

Looks like you may be right!
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2018 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First, just clean the connector to make sure that works.
Second, The car will run with the TCC unplugged. You may notice an improvement.
Acroyer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2018 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AcroyerSend a Private Message to AcroyerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was just about to ask if it could be disconnected. I have some electrical cleaner around here somewhere. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks.
Acroyer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2018 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AcroyerSend a Private Message to AcroyerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got up this morning and gave the connector and plug a good cleaning with the electrical spray stuff, let it sit for a while, then took it on a half-hour drive at all kinds of different speeds.

So far, so good!

Looks like I can expect to have to iron out some kinks since it sat for so long.

Thanks again.
Fiero2m4Fastback

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-16-2018 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m4FastbackSend a Private Message to Fiero2m4FastbackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My bet is still vac leak, possibly the EGR tube.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock