Started on: 11-12-2018 03:48 AM
Replies: 6 (398 views)
Last post by: hercimer01 on 01-07-2019 01:22 PM
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2018 03:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yesterday a local Fiero owner that is planning some changes to his vehicle came over to pick up some small parts. I showed him my 3800SC Fiero that was in my garage and started it up so that he could hear it run. Immediately a ticking noise could be heard. It sounded to me like a bad lifter. Got out the stethoscope but couldn't locate any noise coming from the engine but it sounded like it was on the right side. All looked good until I saw that the supercharger belt had a 3" thread sized shred along the edge. I removed the belt and found another area where there was one more 2" shred. Installed a new belt and all is fixed.
In this case I was lucky to see the problem as the defective area of the belt stopped right at the supercharger pulley and could be clearly seen. On rotation it was apparently slapping on the cradle, hence the ticking sound. I would say that these engines are hard on the supercharger belts so always check it. The last one lasted 7 years of only hobby type driving so there is no complaint. Tomorrow I will check pulley alignment but the only pulleys there are the supercharger , crank, two Idlers and a tensioner- all OEM routing and original items, save for the 3.4" pulley. If I would make a guess, the supercharger belts do need to be changed on these engines occasionally.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2018 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You might have a tensioner arm going bad. As they wear on their bushing, it can cause the arm to tilt slightly, which will cause the belt to walk to the high side and cause an alignment issue.
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2018 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad you found your mysterious ticking noise Dennis and that it wasn't a more sinister problem ...

Harry Potter Puppet Pals

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2018 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

You might have a tensioner arm going bad. As they wear on their bushing, it can cause the arm to tilt slightly, which will cause the belt to walk to the high side and cause an alignment issue.

Good info and I'll check that out but I removed that belt several times, once to investigate a supercharger noise, and two other times when I added the intercooler, and changed superchargers. In all the on-off-on again events I may have put the belt on in an opposite direction than it was installed before but the tensioner tilt sounds very logical. I hope new tensioners are available but I believe that the 3800 engine may have used a common part.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2018 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some things you just cant unsee! I will nevvvvvver get that 2 minutes of my life back!!

Originally posted by Notorio:

Glad you found your mysterious ticking noise Dennis and that it wasn't a more sinister problem ...

Harry Potter Puppet Pals

Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2018 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hercimer01:
Some things you just cant unsee! I will nevvvvvver get that 2 minutes of my life back!!

You know you loved it ... 183,000,000 viewers can't be wrong ....
hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2019 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock