Manual gear getrag 5 speed problem by zobari
Started on: 11-09-2018 12:17 PM
Replies: 12 (268 views)
Last post by: zobari on 11-10-2018 02:49 PM
zobari

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2018 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zobariSend a Private Message to zobariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi.

I have a manual 5 speed getrag 88 fiero.
I have sometimes a problem, when the car is cold after I have drove 20 to 40km, I turn off and let the car, when I Will drive again after 30 minutes or 3 hour the shifter freeze and I am not able to go to the right or to the left.

For example if the shifter freeze in 1 gear I can put the first or second gear without any problem but I cant go to the right for the others gear after few km the shifter
defreeze and everything is fine.

Today I have let the car in 3 th gear and I am not been able the pass the first and 2 second or reverse gear during 5 minutes.....

The previous owner has changed the 2 cable from fierostore..

What is the the problem for you ?
I have seen that the cable (right to left) is near the exhaust manifold and touch a bit the thermal protection of the cable
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2018 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Disconnect the cable at both ends. Slide it back and forth to see if it still moves easily. The routing of the cable may be wrong and the inside plastic could be melted which would make it unpredictable.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 11-09-2018).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2018 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
zobari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2018 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zobariSend a Private Message to zobariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks,

But the outside temperture is 59 deg farenheit.

When the car heat to the normal temperature is after that the prbllem is occurs sometimes.

zobari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2018 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zobariSend a Private Message to zobariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

zobari

99 posts
Member since Jul 2018
I Will check the cable
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2018 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As Gall757's diagram indicates to take up excess slack for exhaust and crossover pipe clearance, here's a pic of how the cable should be routed behind the heat shield. When cables are replaced by previous owners, or if the cradle has been dropped for any reason, the cables sometimes get routed differently.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2018 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zobari:

thanks, But the outside temperture is 59 deg farenheit.

I realize English may not be your first language, but I was just responding to what you had posted.

I have sometimes a problem, when the car is cold after I have drove 20 to 40km, I turn off and let the car, when I Will drive again after 30 minutes or 3 hour the shifter freeze and I am not able to go to the right or to the left.

For example if the shifter freeze in 1 gear I can put the first or second gear without any problem but I cant go to the right for the others gear after few km the shifter defreeze and everything is fine.

zobari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2018 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zobariSend a Private Message to zobariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for your responses.
English is not my first language , i'm Sorry for my poor level in English

[This message has been edited by zobari (edited 11-09-2018).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2018 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thank you for your responses.
English is not my first language , i'm Sorry for my poor level in English

Keep working at it. You'll probably exceed our ability to learn your language.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2018 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:
Keep working at it. You'll probably exceed our ability to learn your language.

Truth!

What usually happens is that water will settle into the "select cable" (the one that provides the side-to-side motion of the shifter) and will freeze, if the temp drops below 0 degrees C.
I don't know much about the Fiero Store select cable but, since your temperature is in the 50s F, I'm guessing that the cable insulation is sub-standard, and is allowing the sheath to be damaged by exhaust heat.
I would recommend the purchase of Rodney Dickman's select cable. It will probably be a bit more expensive than the previous cable, but the quality will be second to none.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2018 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

English is not my first language, i'm Sorry for my poor level in English

Certainly no need to apologize. I admire and envy the ability of many/most Europeans to be able to communicate in multiple languages. I just wanted to clarify that it was the use of the word "freeze" that mistakenly led me to believe that this was a cold weather issue... as my Formula has occasionally had that particular select cable problem during winter cold spells here. It's a real nuisance!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-09-2018).]

PFF
System Bot
zobari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2018 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zobariSend a Private Message to zobariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for your advices.

I Will follow your tips anf if the cable has damaged, I Will command a New one from Rodney...

Have a good day.
zobari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2018 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zobariSend a Private Message to zobariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have put a New insulation (thermal band in ceramic fiber) for the selection cable
I have move the cable in order to allow This cable does not touch the coolant temp pipe and exhaust manifold y pipe.

Today the cable operates without any problems.
I hope that the problem was the heat.

I Will see if the this cable works properly now or not after several miles.

[This message has been edited by zobari (edited 11-10-2018).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock