Roadside again by AVaill6
Started on: 11-07-2018 05:22 PM
Replies: 5 (242 views)
Last post by: Don Adkins on 11-09-2018 10:19 AM
AVaill6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2018 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AVaill6Send a Private Message to AVaill6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On my way home the duke was lacking power. Been having charging issues. Bought a new voltage regulator but didn't put it in yet. She choked out and batt keeps draining after it's running. Guess my question is, is there anyway I can get this running long enough to get it home? Any way to quick rig the new regulator externally just so I can get home? Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2018 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You bought a regulator? How do you know the alternator is OK?

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 11-07-2018).]

mad dad matt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2018 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mad dad mattSend a Private Message to mad dad mattEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No you can not use a jumper wire or some tandem wiring trick. I agree lack of charging alone dose not make me jump to a bad regulator.With a charged bat check voltage at the alt pigtail and charge wire to eliminate a bad connection or link..New alternator costs 3x as much as a regulator but the new alternator comes with armature,brushes,and a regulator installed on it.I would replace an alternator on the side of the road before attempting a regulator swap.If it isn't that far and you can run during the day without lights on just recharge the battery.If you have access to a second charged battery throw it in the trunk and tandem it with jumper cables.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2018 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure about getting it home, but if it had a little battery juice, and was a stick shift (what FIero and features is it?) you could push start it. If you don't use anything like lights or radio power wise the battery will last longer to get you somewhere. My guess is you need an alternator, or the cables are corroded and have a bad connection.
AVaill6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2018 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AVaill6Send a Private Message to AVaill6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Starts with a jump but the volts just drain. There's no return. It was running and tried to drive it and it cut right out. Probably just going to do a new alt.
Don Adkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2018 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Don AdkinsSend a Private Message to Don AdkinsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Put a fully charged battery in it and drive it home. Depending on how far "home" is, it should make it. Then do some real diagnosis without the guessing games. Daytime preferably, so you don't have to run the lights, and no accessories.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock