85 SE V-Belt issues by AVaill6
Started on: 11-04-2018 08:26 PM
Replies: 13 (233 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 11-07-2018 07:50 PM
AVaill6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2018 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AVaill6Send a Private Message to AVaill6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello all, not a frequent poster but a long time reader. First off thanks everyone on here that is helping each other. this page has saved my hide many times. Hope it can again.

I've got an 85 SE 2.5 l4, yadda yadda, just looking for some info on the vbelt. she chucked the belt last week and replaced it, i am now unsure if it's in the right channels for the crank pulley and alt. Anyway, don't know if it's related, but now my battery is overcharging and getting warm. thinking if the alt is routed improperly, it would mess with the charge. Or the volt. regulator is shot. Cleaned all connections, grounds, etc.
So kind of a softball here, but looking for input and especially proper belt routing.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JMTUT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2018 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JMTUTSend a Private Message to JMTUTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 85 4 cylinder has the alternator belt routed on the inside groove (closest to engine) of the waterpump pulley.
AVaill6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2018 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AVaill6Send a Private Message to AVaill6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With no a/c?
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2018 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
likely the alt is bad and can overload and even break the belt.
belt won't cause over volt.
Over volt can kill many other things like ECM, radio, etc.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

AVaill6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2018 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AVaill6Send a Private Message to AVaill6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With no a/c?
Red98422

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2018 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Red98422Send a Private Message to Red98422Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With no a/c the belt should route to the closest groove to the engine. If it is like mine and the PO bypassed the a/c then you would require a different pulley on the water pump.

I am running into belt routing problems on my ‘84 because the only pulley I was able to find was in a new water pump kit so the pump rides “one groove forward” from the alternator. (Squeals constantly due to mis-alignment)
JMTUT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2018 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JMTUTSend a Private Message to JMTUTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
my 85 duke has AC. I'm not sure of the routing on a factory non ac car.
AVaill6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2018 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AVaill6Send a Private Message to AVaill6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay thanks. She pitched another belt, got a new one on and it's staying on thankfully. Still overcharging so I'm guessing it's a bad alt or voltage regulator? I unplugged the alt and regulator, my dash came back to life and it's running well. Guessing maybe the regulator is shot so it was over charging and sending too much to the panel and etc. thoughts on the voltage regulator? Not sure how this alt is, probably needs to go but I'm thinking I'd try the regulator first. Is it worth it? And it's internal?
JMTUT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2018 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JMTUTSend a Private Message to JMTUTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like advanced auto parts has a kit for under $20. You'll have to compare price to a replacement.

https://shop.advanceautopar...tor-repair-kit.c7514
JMTUT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2018 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JMTUTSend a Private Message to JMTUTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

JMTUT

371 posts
Member since Oct 2017
double post

[This message has been edited by JMTUT (edited 11-05-2018).]

kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2018 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fellas,
It is ironic that this topic was questioned today. I scheduled my day to to be visiting to my nearest O’Reilleys, Napa, Autozone, local mechanic?, to find out what is (or is not) the proper V-belt routing for my 2.5 iron Duke air conditioned SE Fiero. I throw belts as consistancy as a Nolan Ryan fastball [or about once a month😡]. Anyway, I thought I would get the correct and final answer by going to my local GM dealer. I talked to the service desk about my belt problem. He did a complete GM computer search. We even walked over to the parts department to, hopefully, get the proper routing instructions for my Fiero. No luck!
Therefore, before I get stranded again, I thought SOMEBODY might have the final and correct picture(?) of the routing diagram. Perhaps someone has a Haynes or GM Manuel that we could all utelize👍.
Cordially,
Kevin

Ps. My ‘85 Duke 4 cyl engine was replaced by a ‘86Duke engine. What particular GM car it came from, I don’t know; if that makes a difference 🤔:

[This message has been edited by kevin (edited 11-06-2018).]

PFF
System Bot
AVaill6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2018 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AVaill6Send a Private Message to AVaill6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine has no a/c. Put it on the inside crank grove and it's been staying on. Assuming with a/c, the a/c belt goes on the outside groove. It was a pain to get the deflection by hand with just myself. Going to check the deflection again tomorrow. I know the belts stretch when they settle so checking again after a few drives is a good idea, maybe that's why these belts go so often. Also, I've not been able to get routing info from any dealer or parts store either. Ordered a Haynes manual yesterday, curious to see what information they have.
AVaill6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2018 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AVaill6Send a Private Message to AVaill6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by AVaill6 (edited 11-07-2018).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2018 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The archives are full of threads on this very topic, with all kinds of tips and advice. Here's an example...

Belt-eating Duke

I remember years ago quite a bit of discussion of good success using slightly wider belts. YMMV

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock