COIL OVERS CHEAP! by Lou6t4gto
Started on: 11-03-2018 06:21 PM
Replies: 14 (603 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 11-13-2018 12:42 PM
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2018 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://www.ebay.com/itm/FO...p2057872.m2749.l2649

i JUST BOUGHT THESE, (JUST TO SEE IF THEY COULD BE USED ON A FIERO). for $39. you get 4 Sleeves w/ locks, 4 springs (6.5") and assorted o rings. the sleeves work every bit as well as summits. the springs seem to be a "rate" that I can live with. you remove most of the original lower spring shelf, BUT LEAVE the weld there. they have the same "shortcoming" as Any of the parts available , having to make an upper sleeve to go down into the top of the spring to keep it in place
(when you jack up the car). ** but for a Total price of $39 you can make 2 Sets of Coil Overs ! ** Just thought I'd pass that along
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2018 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks i just bought a set it's a great deal
Daryl M

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2018 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bought 2 sets 6 months ago. Haven't had a chance to use them yet, but they look great.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2018 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I suppose there isn't a way to know what the spring lbs are...
Iain

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2018 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IainSend a Private Message to IainEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I suppose there isn't a way to know what the spring lbs are...

There are online formulae to work out the spring rate from the wire thickness and number of coils.
Had a couple of these Honda kits, one was 325lbs, the other 350.
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2018 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure if I would like to play the guessing game on spring rates though. I would want a guaranteed number to work with.
da.slyboy

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2018 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for da.slyboySend a Private Message to da.slyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since you have added these to your car, does the shorten spring effect wheel travel? Correct me if I'm wrong, but that seems like the shortest spring I've read of being able to used on a Fiero coilover.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2018 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by da.slyboy:

Since you have added these to your car, does the shorten spring effect wheel travel? Correct me if I'm wrong, but that seems like the shortest spring I've read of being able to used on a Fiero coilover.

I'm running the Eibach coilovers which are 7" and the sleeves are so short that I had to add a steel sleeve on the bottom to add some height. You can see it in black. Also, even though EVERYONE does it, I don't like grinding off the perch down to the weld. I simply cut off the front portion since that is the area that would hit the wheel/tire. I really don't like the thought of creating excess heat from grinding.
Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2018 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe the advertised spring rates on my sets were 2 350 lb and 2 400 lb, but I will double check and post back later.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2018 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Also, even though EVERYONE does it, I don't like grinding off the perch down to the weld. I simply cut off the front portion since that is the area that would hit the wheel/tire. I really don't like the thought of creating excess heat from grinding.

I thought they ground the perch off because the sleeve usually goes down completely over it, does yours not because the spring is so short?
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2018 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I thought they ground the perch off because the sleeve usually goes down completely over it, does yours not because the spring is so short?

If you want to use a 12" spring and lower the car much, then you need the sleeve to sit below the weld bead.
For extreme tire fitment, some like to use a 10" spring and keep the sleeve above the weld bead, this allows the wheel/tire to be as close to the body of the strut w/o needing any room for the thickness of the sleeve or the adjusting collar.

When using 10" or shorter springs and depending on spring rate (lower spring rates are worse), you can reach coil bind before your end of suspension travel, so it helps (but costs more) to start with springs with advertised specs.

The use of the eBay coilovers have been around and discussed many times over the years. The primary issue is even when they are for the exact same application, some of the sleeves in the kits will be less than 2" ID, which means they won't simply slide over. Some will, some won't, sometimes 2 in the box of 4 will and the other 2 won't... results are very hit and miss.

FWIW, I build all my coilovers to customer spec, every component is new with stainless steel for all studs, washers, and nuts, and if the weld bead is removed, it is turned off with a lathe, so there isn't any excessive build up of heat. Definitely not the cheapest route... but they look great, are built to your spec, and are plug & play.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 11-08-2018).]

PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2018 05:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Must say that the installation of coil overs looks nice and most likely improves the handling and frees up space for wider tires. I have heard the downside they make the ride harder.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Shonyman32

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2018 06:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shonyman32Send a Private Message to Shonyman32Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is awesome thanks for the info.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2018 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

The use of the eBay coilovers have been around and discussed many times over the years. The primary issue is even when they are for the exact same application, some of the sleeves in the kits will be less than 2" ID, which means they won't simply slide over. Some will, some won't, sometimes 2 in the box of 4 will and the other 2 won't... results are very hit and miss.

Ah, China standards.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 11-13-2018).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2018 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Must say that the installation of coil overs looks nice and most likely improves the handling and frees up space for wider tires. I have heard the downside they make the ride harder.

Doesn't have to. Some people think you need real stiff springs or you'll get body roll, so they go too firm. IMO
Ride depends on your spring rate vs car weight, also depends on size wheel and which exact tire is run. And rebound control if you have adjustables.

My smallblock car has 400lb springs in the rear coilovers and is lowered I'd say a little over 1.5 inches, 17 inch Kumhos.. It rides pretty nice though, the engine weight requires the higher lb springs.
The stock powertrain Formula with stock suspension and when it had 17 inch Michelins rode harsher.
(Same tire inflation on both.)

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 11-13-2018).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock