Replacing distributor by montegut
Started on: 11-03-2018 12:54 PM
Replies: 14 (365 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 11-24-2018 06:50 PM
montegut

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2018 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for montegutSend a Private Message to montegutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Two tabs broke off of the reluctor of my distributor on my 87 GT. I havn’t been able to find a replacement reluctor so will replace the distributor with a Cardone unit. I marked the rotor and distributor’s body positions on the engine. Can I use these reference marks when installing the new distributor or do I have to start from scratch and find TDC, etc?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2018 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No matter how careful you are, you will still have to use a timing light to get it dialed in perfect.....Marking both the distributor body position and the rotor position will get it very close, which should allow you to skip the "TDC Piston #1" routine.

Do not allow the engine to rotate while the Dist' is out....Take it out of gear and don't touch the key.

Also, I prefer the "Cast Star" distributor to the bent tab Reluctor type......Although I could not guarantee it made any driveability difference.
montegut

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2018 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for montegutSend a Private Message to montegutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am going to time the engine. Just didn’t want to have to find TDC unless necessary. I won’t do anything to move the crank. Thanks for the quick reply!
David Hambleton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2018 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had the distributor out of my Formula twice in the last four years, once for the O ring and once for the pick-up coil.
I marked it's location and was careful to replace it exactly as it came out so there was no need to do any basic timing.
As I understand it, the ECM does the timing thereafter. Mine seems to be running perfectly.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2018 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

...was careful to replace it exactly as it came out so there was no need to do any basic timing.

David, are you assuming that the basic timing was correct prior to the first time you pulled the distributor?

As I understand it, the ECM does the timing thereafter.

Keep in mind all the ECM does is advance the ignition timing varying degrees. The ECM relies on the basic timing to be set correctly to begin with (using a timing light).

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-04-2018).]

David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2018 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm 100% confident the timing was factory spec; there were under 30,000 kilometers on it and performance and fuel consumption were the same as when I got it with 5,200 kilometers. Still the same now at 38,000 kilometers.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2018 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm 100% confident the timing was factory spec...

So you've never checked the ignition timing? Ever?

Timing lights aren't that expensive!
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2018 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you do find your timing is implausibly off (with the strobe lamp method), then beware that the notched outer ring on the harmonic balancer can slip.

If the outer ring slips, then any strobe lamp measurements are invalid. If this happens, then I would suggest timing "by ear", without the ALDL jumper installed.

I'm considering painting a continuous line of paint between the harmonic balancer's outer ring and the edge of the A/C driver pulley, to be able to detect if a slip has occured.

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2018 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

pmbrunelle

4376 posts
Member since Sep 2008

Originally posted by Patrick:

Keep in mind all the ECM does is advance the ignition timing varying degrees. The ECM relies on the basic timing to be set correctly to begin with (using a timing light).

Strictly speaking, the ECM retards the reference pulses from the distributor, such that the retarded pulses appear "advanced" from the perspective of the next cylinder in the firing order.

It is not possible for the ECM (or for anything) to advance a pulse in time. You cannot act on an event from the future; an event which has not yet occurred.

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 11-04-2018).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2018 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

Strictly speaking, the ECM retards the reference pulses from the distributor, such that the retarded pulses appear "advanced" from the perspective of the next cylinder in the firing order.

It is not possible for the ECM (or for anything) to advance a pulse in time. You cannot act on an event from the future; an event which has not yet occurred.

Careful here.....we might be entering the twilight zone...

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 11-04-2018).]

Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2018 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like to follow the KISS rule (Keep It Simple Stupid) when I do anything. If it were me and I were changing out the distributor I would absolutely re-time the vehicle again. Especially if I was not the one to do it initially.

I just timed my car last week. Purchased a timing light from Harbor Freight, did some research on the steps, and did it. Was pretty straight forward to do.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2018 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Careful here.....we might be entering the twilight zone...

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
PK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2018 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PKSend a Private Message to PKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Having recently done this, it is also worth noting a reference point as the distributor exits as this gives you a reference for reinsertion along with a marking for its end position once relocated.

I also would re time.
carguy8t8

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2018 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carguy8t8Send a Private Message to carguy8t8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I may be crazy but every 2.8 V6 Fiero that I have ever worked on has a mark staked into the base of the distributor and block for re-alignment?
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2018 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carguy8t8:

I may be crazy but every 2.8 V6 Fiero that I have ever worked on has a mark staked into the base of the distributor and block for re-alignment?

That locates the distributor housing, but the rotor could be anywhere in the 360 degree rotation. PK and I have conversed on this before and I'm sure he's referring to marking the pickup points inside the distributor for reference.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock