Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  LH turn signal indicator lights up when I turn on the headlights. Big deal or not?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
LH turn signal indicator lights up when I turn on the headlights. Big deal or not? by RayOtton
Started on: 10-31-2018 10:18 AM
Replies: 15 (468 views)
Last post by: Indydreamcar on 05-30-2019 03:09 PM
RayOtton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2018 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hardly ever drive at night so I don't know when this might have started.

The LH dash indicator lights up when I turn the headlights or parking lights on. Not blinking, just a steady light.

It blinks when I depress the turn signal stalk and stays lit after the stalk returns to center.

All the turn signal lights on the outside of the car work normally.

Indicative of a pending electrical problem or just one of those Fiero quirks?

[This message has been edited by RayOtton (edited 10-31-2018).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2018 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would take the parking light apart and look at the socket carefully. There is a bad ground (maybe at G101?). Visit the Ogre's cave for a lot more info on 'sneak path' electrical problems.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 10-31-2018).]

Flying_Dan

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2018 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Flying_DanSend a Private Message to Flying_DanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a gasket that keeps the light separated for all the indicator lights. It's made of foam, very thin and breaks easily. You're probably just getting light bleed through.

To replace the gasket will take time as you have to remove the gauge cluster and take it apart.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2018 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the same problem after converting my 86 to the Generation 2 system. It isn't the gasket. Like Ray, the indicator light stays fully illuminated when the lights are on. The left front side marker nor parking light is lighted, but they work when the left turn signal is activated.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2018 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See my Cave, Sneak Path

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

RayOtton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2018 05:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the input.

To be perfectly clear, I'm not too interested in chasing this down if there's no real problem and that's what it sounds like.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2018 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The only down side of it is that we may get a ticket for defective equipment. But I have bought a new socket. Just haven't installed it.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2018 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://cardiagn.com/1987-p...e-repair-manual-pdf/

Click this button to download that section of manual as a PDF

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2018 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doesn't do damage to the car but likely front turn/park bulb isn't working right as covered in my cave.

Originally posted by fierofool:
The only down side of it is that we may get a ticket for defective equipment. But I have bought a new socket. Just haven't installed it.
And Depending on state when you get a ticket... may get points as well as fine money for equipment violations. Points are worse then whatever fine because is on Driver records for 1-3 years and available to insurance co's. Out of state points can follow you back home too.
RayOtton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2018 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As I said, all the outside blinkers work perfectly with the lights on or off.

As to malfunctioning equipment summons, LEO's would have to be sitting behind the wheel with the lights on to see the malfunction.

Maybe if you were a d*ck during the stop I suppose but having been stopped a few times over the last 50 years, never once acting like said d*ick, I've never had the cop get in my car and look for equipment malfunctions.

Just sayin'.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2018 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does your parking light and clearance marker illuminate? That's where the defective equipment citation would be seen from outside. Mine work, when the turn signal is activated, but don't illuminate, otherwise.
PFF
System Bot
RayOtton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2018 06:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, everything lights up normally. High beams, low beams, parking lights and turn signals front and rear.

Plus, with the lights on the LH green indicator light blinks the way it should when the stalk in depressed for a left turn. It returns to constantly lit after the turn is completed.
Daryl M

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2018 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You may have a bad bulb. If a burned filament end attached itself to the wrong place in the bulb, it can cause that.
donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2018 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've seen this happen twice on other GM vehicles. One time it was water that had gotten inside of a trunk, the tail-light harness junction was submerged. Fixing the leak and drying the connections fixed the problem.

2nd time, someone had mistakenly installed a 1156 (single filament) bulb where an 1157 (dual filament) bulb should have been. A fuse blew and caused a ghost current (or whatever it's called when electricity is redirected).

If everything is dry, I would remove one bulb at a time, checking the green indicator each time you take a bulb out. Don't put the bulbs back in until you find the one that turns the indicator off. Then hopefully you'll know which circuit to follow.

[This message has been edited by donuteater306 (edited 11-03-2018).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2018 03:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by donuteater306:
2nd time, someone had mistakenly installed a 2057 (single filament) bulb where an 1157 (dual filament) bulb should have been. A fuse blew and caused a ghost current (or whatever it's called when electricity is redirected).
2057 1157 2357 are all dual filaments and bulb base is same for them and Fiero OE bulbs for brake/park/turn are 2057. Only diff is power used by the filaments. (Later GM and some others have 3x57 bulbs and are same as 2x57/1157 but have a wedge type base.)
Some sockets let you to used 1156 and other single filament bulbs and can short the socket power pins to each other. This often won't blow a fuse when that happens.
See my Cave, Lighbulbs

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 11-03-2018).]

Indydreamcar

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2019 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IndydreamcarSend a Private Message to IndydreamcarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

See my Cave, Sneak Path

Ogre, I and the '88 GT I'm restoring thank you. The ground was loose in the left front turn signal socket. Because of your post and info, it took me 5 minutes to remedy. Thanks so much!

[This message has been edited by Indydreamcar (edited 05-30-2019).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock