Canadian Built Fiero? by chaotichamster9
Started on: 10-20-2018 08:56 PM
Replies: 15 (516 views)
Last post by: Kevin87FieroGT on 10-25-2018 07:05 PM
chaotichamster9

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2018 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chaotichamster9Send a Private Message to chaotichamster9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I’ve located a 88 Fiero GT automatic I am considering looking at, car looks to be in pretty good shape. While looking at the pictures I noticed the speedometer maxes at 180 Km/H. Were these cars manufactured in Canada? If so are there known differences between those and USA built cars (engine setup, emissions, power etc.)? Appreciate all input thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2018 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Manufactured in Pontiac, Michigan along with all the others......but altered for sale in Canada. There are quite a few.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2018 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Approximate Canadian sales:
1984 - 11,000
1985 - 7,000
1986 - 6,000
1987 - 3,000
1988 - 730

[This message has been edited by David Hambleton (edited 10-20-2018).]

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2018 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Manufactured in Pontiac, Michigan along with all the others......but altered for sale in Canada. There are quite a few.

Altered? Do you mean that Canada-bound Fieros weren't assembled with metric instrument clusters on the assembly line, but were altered after final assembly?

Seems to me like you could just have an RPO for metric clusters, and that it could be treated like any other option.

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 10-20-2018).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2018 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

Seems to me like you could just have an RPO for metric clusters, and that it could be treated like any other option.

Z49 EXPORT (CANADA)
This would give you the metric speedo and gauges.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2018 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just had a peek at my Fiero, and yup, it has Z49.

In addition to the instrumentation, some stickers have French writing on them, including the RPO sticker itself.

OP: I don't know of any differences in terms of engines / emissions / power.
IXSLR8

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2018 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IXSLR8Send a Private Message to IXSLR8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My first Fiero purchased was a 1987 Fastback when I lived in Canada and I converted it to a 3800SC.

When I came back to the US, it met all requirements for safety, DEQ, etc... and such. The only difference was the gauge pod.
It didn't matter since it had both K/M and M/PH printed on the gauges like most cars.

The best thing about it was that the Gauge pod could be used for an 180 MPH speedo since the scale was consistent all the way up to 180. I put in the appropriate crystal (don't ask me what the crystal is as I will have to dig through about 10 boxes burried in the shop) and soldered it in, blackened out the "K" in KpH with a permanent marker and it looked great giving me 180 MPH speedo!

[This message has been edited by IXSLR8 (edited 10-21-2018).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2018 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a friend from Montreal who has a set of French owner's manuals. 86 or 87, I think.

Edit - Or maybe it's just this one...

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 10-21-2018).]

chaotichamster9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2018 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chaotichamster9Send a Private Message to chaotichamster9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok so sounds like the 2.8 V6 is the same regardless, just the gauge pod is different. I take it then that the odometer measures in Km instead of miles? Will have to convert to see mileage on the vehicle. On a side note, this one has a 3 speed auto, how does that compare to the 5 speed manual in regards to MPG? I intend to drive this to work.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2018 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Z49 EXPORT (CANADA)

And it's pronounced Zed49.

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2018 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can tell where post 1980 cars are built by the first character of the VIN - 1 = USA
PFF
System Bot
Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2018 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2-3 mpg less overall
IXSLR8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2018 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IXSLR8Send a Private Message to IXSLR8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, the odometer measures in Km instead of miles. But that doesn't matter because it also reads in MPH with the smaller numbers or secondary scale. Both KM and MPH are on the speedo face so you just train yourself to look at the other numbers for MPH. 1 K is .62 of a mile.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2018 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IXSLR8:

Yes, the odometer measures in Km instead of miles. But that doesn't matter because it also reads in MPH with the smaller numbers or secondary scale.
Both KM and MPH are on the speedo face so you just train yourself to look at the other numbers for MPH. 1 K is .62 of a mile.

Swapping a US cluster/gauges shouldn't be a problem.
Of the ~380,000 Fieros produced only ~26,000 went to Canada.
So there's many more parts cars down there...
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2018 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Swapping a US cluster/gauges shouldn't be a problem.
Of the ~380,000 Fieros produced only ~26,000 went to Canada.
So there's many more parts cars down there...

For those who are not sticklers about remaining stock, it is possible to buy gauge face overlays on eBay having the desired units of measure.

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 10-25-2018).]

Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2018 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, just do a simple search for "Fiero White Guage Overlays". On the various sites you find most will offer different color overlays, just pick your color.

https://www.ebay.com/i/401144830050?chn=ps

[This message has been edited by Kevin87FieroGT (edited 10-25-2018).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock