Started on: 10-19-2018 09:06 PM
Replies: 20 (412 views)
Last post by: Nickoman on 10-21-2018 11:07 PM
crazyd

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 140
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2018 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazydClick Here to visit crazyd's HomePageSend a Private Message to crazydEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So when I replaced my A/C compressor in the '88 GT I had to rewire it for the new two-wire switches, one for fan control and the other for high-pressure shutoff. My radiator fan hasn't been kicking on at all, not when the temp goes too high, not when I kick on the A/C, and not when the compressor switch should kick it on either. It spins freely, so it's not seized. Most likely culprits?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2018 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did the fan operate properly before the new compressor/switches/wiring change?
Do you have the switches mixed up?
mad dad matt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2018 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mad dad mattSend a Private Message to mad dad mattEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are several parts that would interrupt the temperature on circuit and same for ac on circuit but only a few that would stop both.Both circuits send a signal to the fan relay.I would run a good 12+ and ground to fan pigtail spin to full speed almost instantly then come to a smooth stop when power is pulled.If you have 3 posts on the pigtail it is 2 speed fan so check high and low.If that is good check power and more likely the ground at the fan relay under the drivers side head light.The only shared part left is the relay itself.I can't find the schematic to test it but a new relay is under $10 and if signal is going in but not out you found the problem.From memory(and it's not always that good) the hot and ground are shared with the horn relay next to it. The signal wires are dark green,one with a stripe I think and the fan wires are easy to trace.Check for oxidation where the wire plug into the relay.I will look for that wiring schematic.
mad dad matt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2018 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mad dad mattSend a Private Message to mad dad mattEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mad dad matt

102 posts
Member since Feb 2014
Just saw this is an 88 gt. Pretty sure the wiring is different colors and location on 88 and relays are not next to each other.The testing procedure should be the same.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2018 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FYI....

The only 2 speed fan in Fiero was in 84.
Relay wiring colors are the same from 85-88.
88 fan relays are made of unobtainium, they are different than 85-87.
Horn relay is on the passenger side kick panel, not by the fan relay that is in the driver side headlight bucket.

crazyd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2018 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crazydClick Here to visit crazyd's HomePageSend a Private Message to crazydEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Did the fan operate properly before the new compressor/switches/wiring change?
Do you have the switches mixed up?

No, and definitely not. I've tested it and validated that the switches are correctly connected and grounded. If they weren't the compressor wouldn't run at all.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2018 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We have had similar issues after replacing the single wire pressure switches with the dual wire switches. Various configurations of wiring yields either a constant run of the cooling fan, or a failure to run.
donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2018 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And to add to what everyone else has listed. Also check the circuit board on the HVAC switches (on the dash). Those circuit boards can fail and keep the fan from turning on. Although you seem to have other issues. Just something else to add to the bucket.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2018 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by donuteater306:

And to add to what everyone else has listed. Also check the circuit board on the HVAC switches (on the dash). Those circuit boards can fail and keep the fan from turning on. Although you seem to have other issues. Just something else to add to the bucket.

Good point, the traces burn right off of the board.
EZ to see and repair....
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2018 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

olejoedad

18042 posts
Member since May 2004
Have you verified the relay is operating?
crazyd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2018 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crazydClick Here to visit crazyd's HomePageSend a Private Message to crazydEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fan relay test protocol?
PFF
System Bot
mad dad matt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2018 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mad dad mattSend a Private Message to mad dad mattEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have rewired 86 and 87 but all I know of 88 is what I have read.We have one vote the relay wiring is the same so if anyone can second it or give the right wiring chime in.If not this is what I have in my notes.

big red wire is hot at all times 12+
big black with red stripe + to fan when relay is closed
brown with white 12+ in run position
dark green with white is the control wire.When connected to ground the relay closes,fan on

If the colors don't match then we know the 88 is different.good luck.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2018 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those colors.and functions are correct, as per my previous posting.

So now we 'vote' when stating factual information?

Here is a thought.....

If you are not for sure of the info that you post - DONT POST IT!
mad dad matt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2018 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mad dad mattSend a Private Message to mad dad mattEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't know why you are getting pissy oldloe.

I openly admit I was not 100% positive the wiring didn't change on 88, that is why I said to verify the colors match. Apparently according to you I am correct.You said the colors and functions are correct per your previous post but I don't see you list them anywhere.I see a dozen posts but no response to his question how to test the relay.I am sorry I correctly answered his question and did not insist I am the absolute authority on the subject. Not tryin to piss you off joe. Just havin a little fun.
mad dad matt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2018 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mad dad mattSend a Private Message to mad dad mattEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mad dad matt

102 posts
Member since Feb 2014
almost forgot an ACDELCO 158240 OE pure unobtainium relay from rock auto is $11.88
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2018 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not perturbed at all about correct info.

But, I don't consider info that I post as a 'vote' on a topic.

No wire colors were listed in my post as I was not near a service manual to provide complete and correct information.

Hopefully the O/P will be able to solve his problem.

Thanks for the info on the relay. Last time I checked, they were cataloged, but no longer available. I'll have to grab a couple if they're now available.
Nickoman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2018 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NickomanSend a Private Message to NickomanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you put 12v directly to the fan motor? I had to rebuild the brushes on mine, as they were no longer contacting the commutator.
crazyd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2018 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazydClick Here to visit crazyd's HomePageSend a Private Message to crazydEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where is the fan relay on 88s? I found a cross-reference to a commonly-stocked part at Autozone, P/N 19856.
crazyd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2018 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazydClick Here to visit crazyd's HomePageSend a Private Message to crazydEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

crazyd

2011 posts
Member since Feb 2002

Originally posted by Nickoman:

Have you put 12v directly to the fan motor? I had to rebuild the brushes on mine, as they were no longer contacting the commutator.

Part numbers for the brushes? I haven't yet.

[This message has been edited by crazyd (edited 10-21-2018).]

Nickoman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2018 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NickomanSend a Private Message to NickomanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, I dont have part numbers I can ask the fella ( the wizard, he's some old dude with tons of homemade test equipment in his shop near me) what brushes he used.
I dont want to give you a wrong number even if he gives me it. I have an 84 and Im 95% positive we have different fan motors.

Did you test putting 12 V directly to the fan?
Nickoman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2018 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NickomanSend a Private Message to NickomanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nickoman

79 posts
Member since May 2017
https://www.fierostore.com/...px?s=55106&d=157&p=1
JESUS thats a good price, dont even buy brushes if thats the case! I spent half that on brushes.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock