Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Where are the best prices for Coil over parts?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Where are the best prices for Coil over parts? by Lou6t4gto
Started on: 10-15-2018 06:58 PM
Replies: 6 (249 views)
Last post by: Lou6t4gto on 11-04-2018 12:22 PM
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2018 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where are the best "prices" for "Coil over parts" ? 12" 250-300 springs, sleeves, etc. seems to be a thousand places selling for honda and none for 1986 fiero ! can't even find listings on Ebay ! Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2018 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not the cheapest source, but multiple levels of kits depending how much work you want (or don't want) to do:

http://fieroguruperformance.com/

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 10-15-2018).]

Iain

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2018 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IainSend a Private Message to IainEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What Fieroguru said,
about the only place you'll get all the parts in one place.

The Honda stuff will fit, same 50mm o.d casing, though sometimes you may have to sand both, the quality control on the struts is poor, the o.d. can vary up to 0.5mm.
The Honda springs are short at 7 or 8" and usually in the 325lb range. They will work, if you (carefully) weld the flat steel ring that comes with them, to the weld ring left when you cut the original spring housing off. If you grind the weld ring down so the sleeve goes to the bottom bracket you need longer springs, or, 4" helper springs and platforms. The latter puts you in the same price bracket as buying the stuff from Fieroguru.

Or, if you can weld good enough to trust your life to it, you cut the bracket off, buy Bilstein casings and short inserts, new springs and top mounts. Not recommended, it's not cheap.

iain
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2018 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't know about cheapest but here's how I built mine and where I got stuff from/prices. Note that I also added 'helper' springs' later on (further down the page) that added to the cost but they are well worth the extra cost. No loose springs/rattle when I jack the car up and the suspension drops, keeps everything nicely in places so it all compresses correctly when I drop the car back down.
Note that you do have to grind down a lip inside the sleeves that I used for them to fit over the shock. 10 mins with a grindstone/sanding wheel and a lick of paint and job was done.

http://ltlfrari.no-ip.com/Diary/2018/2018.htm
------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

[This message has been edited by ltlfrari (edited 10-16-2018).]

Iain

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2018 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IainSend a Private Message to IainEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Forgot to say, watch which kit you buy, most are 2 1/4", a few are 2 1/2", you need to measure before you order other springs. Some also have urethane top caps, those tend not to cope well with higher spring rates.
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2018 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I built mine before fieroguru came out with his, otherwise I may have just gotten his for the sake of ease. I purchased most of my parts through Amazon. Was simple enough.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2018 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, undoubtedly the Ebay sales of 1988 civic "set of 4" for for $39 ! you CAN make 2 "sets" of rears for a fiero for $39

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock