Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  How to clean the cradle / engine / trans ?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
How to clean the cradle / engine / trans ? by Wichita
Started on: 10-12-2018 11:50 PM
Replies: 6 (472 views)
Last post by: edfiero on 10-18-2018 11:58 AM
Wichita

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2018 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pulled the cradle out of the Fiero. Removed the 4-banger (it's going away).

Left with the 5-speed Isuzu transmission and the rest of the cradle assembly.

Going to start taking the rest apart, and installing new bushings and etc. But need to clean all the crap off of it and get it clean.

Besides using a can of Gunk and possibly pressure washing it. Has anybody used any other cleaner that works well? What should I keep protected (cover up) during the clean down, especially on the transmission. I think everything else is free game. Just want to to a great clean off, so I can protect and repaint.

Any good advice on procedures and cleaner products is most welcomed.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mad dad matt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2018 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mad dad mattSend a Private Message to mad dad mattEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Engine cleaner and pressure washer will get most everything clean.Diesel fuel and a small wire brush for detailing and heavy grunge.Not sure what you are cleaning or exactly how clean you want but if you are referring to stripping the cradle easy off oven cleaner.It will eat everything but steal.It can dissolve grease,paint,rubber,skin and aluminum so be careful !! This is if you are looking to repaint and new bushings.Keep it far away from the aluminum trans,and engine parts.Water rinse,spray with 50%vinegar water to neutralize and water rinse again before you paint or install bushings.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2018 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oven Cleaner, a stiff brush and a power washer will get a cradle clean. Let it soak for an hour then rince. When dry wipe with carb cleaner. Light rust can be removed with a wire brush . Then prime and coat with black chassis paint. That paint is tougher than regular spray can paint.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2018 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WD40 works really good as well. Along with a power washer. I just plugged the important stuff up before hand. I did this same thing when I pulled my V6 to rebuild. I went an extra mile and painted the cradle and engine bay with POR15. Turned out awesome.

[This message has been edited by Spadesluck (edited 10-14-2018).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2018 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use Mean Green. It's like Simple Green, only nastier.
It will cut grease, but it will also oxidize bare aluminum. (Will turn it a darker gray.)
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2018 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had good results with Simple Green and a pressure washer. Really thick deposits may need to be scraped off with a putty knife or a screwdriver. I would also suggest giving the engine cradle a couple coats of POR-15 after it dries off.
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2018 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It helps if you can use HOT water rather than cold.

I've used Gunk myself with good results.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock