Started on: 10-10-2018 05:07 PM
Replies: 7 (319 views)
Last post by: Darth Fiero on 10-20-2018 09:13 AM
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2018 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello
I have a series III block, and purchased a compressor for a 99 Regal to attach to it

Can someone please tell me what I need to purchase to mount it to the block? I found this online. Is this diagram correct? Which pieces will I need?

thank you

https://www.wholesalegmpart...ukey_product=2997534

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2018 06:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump
cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2018 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone ? Would appreciate a link or some photos of how the AC compressor mentioned would attach to the block

I only get one chance at the hoist, so I want to make sure I have the right parts in advance to fasten the compressor to the block

thanks
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2018 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have no idea if GM changed the AC mounting location points between the S2 and S3 engines... I kinda doubt it, but don't know for certain.

Google the part # for the AC compressor that you have for the vehicle applications.
Find a 3800 application that would be a series 3.
Look up that application on gmpartsdirect.com (you will get a picture like the one above) and will give you the GM part number for the bracket.
Lookup the GM part # on ebay or google and find one to buy.
Simple Man

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2018 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Simple ManSend a Private Message to Simple ManEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 98 3800sc series II

this is the bracket I used from ebay

GM OEM A/C Condenser, Compressor Lines-Compressor Mount Bracket 2450477

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM...rIAAOSwKflZOtlr:rk:1

[This message has been edited by Simple Man (edited 10-14-2018).]

Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2018 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
3800 Series 3 engines used a direct-to-block mount A/C compressor. Earlier (Series 2) engines used additional brackets to mount the compressor to the block (different compressor than Series 3 engines).

There were two different styles of Series 2 compressors and mounting brackets. C/H body cars got a 1-piece aluminum bracket and a compressor that had different size suction and discharge ports. W-body cars got 2 mounting brackets (one aluminum and one steel) to mount a compressor that had same size discharge and suction ports.

Series 3 A/C compressors have much smaller suction and discharge ports than the compressors used on Series 2 engines. But Series 3 compressors are a more efficient design, so you may want to consider using a Series 3 compressor if you don't already have one or the lines made for one.

-ryan

------------------
More is more. Less is not enough.

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 10-17-2018).]

cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2018 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Darth... so it looks like I received some incorrect advice and purchased a Series II compressor for my Series III block and now need to figure out how to make it work andd mount it. The hose I had made is for the Series II compressor, so if I change to a Series III compressor, my hose may not work due to port size differences??

GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!! I have wasted so much effort and money on this AC already, and am not even close to having it working. Very frustrating

thanks
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2018 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:

Thanks Darth... so it looks like I received some incorrect advice and purchased a Series II compressor for my Series III block and now need to figure out how to make it work andd mount it. The hose I had made is for the Series II compressor, so if I change to a Series III compressor, my hose may not work due to port size differences??

Correct, hoses made for a Series 2 compressor will not work with a Series 3 compressor.

But you can mount the Series 2 compressor to your Series 3 block if you get the mounting brackets for it (I recommend you get them from a W body motor).

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 10-20-2018).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock