Wiring Quad Headlights ? by Lou6t4gto
Started on: 10-10-2018 03:02 PM
Replies: 7 (340 views)
Last post by: falcon_ca on 11-11-2018 09:20 PM
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2018 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
full custom. putting 300Z headlights in,( they have 4 bulbs) Fiero's have only 3 Wires (low beam, high beam, ground) what is needed to wire the 4 headlight system ?? Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2018 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think you need to explain how the 4 bulbs work, or at least how you want them to work, as in what comes on when and probably what the wiring would be to them normally in the Nissan.
However I can probably see some relays in your future.

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2018 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
it's like any other 4 bulb system, (like a 1970 chevelle) has 2 bulbs on each side of the car with 2 wires each ( a + and a ground). 1 bulb is low beam, the 2nd bulb is high beam
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2018 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So the simplest way would be to take the low beam wire of the Fiero to the low beam bulb of the headlight and the high beam wire of the Fiero to the high beam bulb of the headlight.
If you wanted the lows to stay on with high beam then you'd need a dual, double pole relay (or wire two double pole relays in parallel)

Notice this setup only uses one Fiero high beam wire to drive things.
When in low beam, the relay(s) are de-energized (as shown) so the power just goes to the low beam bulbs. There's now way for power to get to the high beam bulbs so they are off.
When you select high beam, the relay energizes and the power is now sent to BOTH sets of bulbs.
The nice thing about this setup us that if the relay coil fails, you still get at least your low beams by default.

You'd only need one relay hooked up to ONE of the Fiero high beam wires and just split the output wires of the relay(s) to both sides of the car.

Well, that's how I'd do it anyway.

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2018 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See my Cave, Headlights
Same setup w/ correct sockets for bulbs used.
Note: Old US cars w/ 4 bulbs have 2 outside bulbs on for low beam and 4 for high beam. I think Bulbs are Marked as 2A1 or 2C1 for low and high beam bulb, 1A1 or 1C1 for high beam only. (Fiero are 2B1 for big square and others have 2B1 big round bulbs)

Most car relays only have 1 pole Double throw, Not relay like above. (Above is double pole double throw.)

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2018 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
always figured that on High Beam, ALL the bulbs were lit
cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2018 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Be careful of the wattage of the bulbs you are going to use. I originally tried to wire up using the stock wiring. Only to find out that the high beam switch could not handle bulbs current when the high beams were on. This also only was only able to work with one set on at a time.
I have since used a relay system. I used one relay for low beams and one for high beams. Used a separate fused feed for high and low to the relays. The coil circuit of the relays are one side to ground and the other from the high beam switch. Now for the trick. getting both set of lights to come on with the high beam switch while having separate coil feeds. I installed a diode between the feed circuit to the relays from the high beam switch. So when the high beams are on the low beam relay is energized through the diode. If I want to switch the configuration, I just have to turn the diode around. Without having to touch the wiring.

Now this was done while I was getting rid of the multi splices behind the instrument panel. I think they are marked S206 and S202 in diagrams. Pita to get to. I had earlier moved the battery to the front. I wanted a shorter run rather than the battery feed from the rear fuse link point. The only links in the rear are for the alternator and PCM memory. During the battery movement, I ran 1/0 gauge cables to the starter and engine. They look like welding cables. The ground was run on one side of the fuel tank. The positive side was run inside a 6 foot section of heater hose and further supported by the a/c low side line. Which is no longer used. The cables have very suitable insulation, but I wanted added protection just in case. I may decide to put it in PVC conduit later. I used another cable from the starter to the fuse link junction for the alternator. I then used a 1996-2003 Cavalier under hood fuse box. Wiring the needed Maxi fuses and relays. There is a 120 amp fuse between the battery and the fuse box. My windows are faster, the volt meter doesn't drop off the way it used to when the radiator fan comes on and much, much easier to get to. There is apparently a voltage drop in the stock wiring. Either due to the long battery feed run, or at the splice itself.

[This message has been edited by cmechmann (edited 11-09-2018).]

falcon_ca

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2018 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You should talk with Danyel who is member here.

He makes 4 bulbs wiring harnesses for the 60mm Hella projectors kits . His harness can be built for 2 or 4 bulbs High beam. In fact he makes them for 2 but gives the info for the modification required to go 4. I did, pretty easy.

------------------
"I'm not driving too fast, . . . I'm just flying too low."

Work done 07-08 | Work done 08-09 | Work done 09-10 | Work done 10-11 | Work done 11-12 | Work done 12-13 | Work done 13-14 | Work done 15-16 | Work done 16-17 |4.9 Swap |

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock