reseting the distributor position and distributor shaft postion by jjd2296
Started on: 10-04-2018 09:26 AM
Replies: 11 (401 views)
Last post by: jjd2296 on 10-17-2018 06:44 AM
jjd2296

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2018 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In replaced my distributor assembly. the old shaft was marked I removed it and noted the position of the distributor rotor but only after I removed it. I forgot that it actually moves when its removed. I believe that I have placed it back in the correct position before removal based on the movement of the teeth on the distributor shaft. I'm going to try timing it tonight. 2 questions, is the position of the distributor rotor suppose to be facing to hit #1 spark plug first? does it matter? or does the position of the distributor shaft only matter when setting the timing?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2018 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The position of the rotor when you remove the distributor is arbitrary.....it could point in any direction, doesn't matter. This is why you note the direction it is pointing before you remove anything. At this point, you will need to rotate the engine to TDC and then install the distributor so the rotor points at cyl. #1 (since you have no idea where the rotor waspointing before you removed it).
jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2018 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks! yes that's what I read after I posted this. luckily I have a local fiero guru coming over to help me tomorrow
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2018 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any piston hits TDC 2 times... You want #1 at TDC with both valves Close.
If failed this then timing is 180° out.
Pull #1 plug and watch compression to find right TDC.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2018 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok so I reset to TDC. I was 180 off so I rerouted the spark plug wires. Got the timing dead on. But once I take out the code pin from A and B and the car is warm it idled between 800-1000 bouncing. Then I took it for a drive and have hesitation and bucking between 1000-2000 rpm. I took out the replacement o2 sensor and put the original back in. Was a little better but still have fun doing issue and hesitation. Do I need to relearn the Ecm? I hve no codes.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2018 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jjd2296:
Do I need to relearn the Ecm? I hve no codes.

It re-learns after a long enough drive....maybe your trip was too short or too slow.
jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2018 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You might be right I’ll take it for a longer drive tomorrow fingers crossed
jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2018 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I need to disconnect the battery first for a minute or so?
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2018 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You indicate the timing was "dead on". Did you set it with a timing light at about 10* before pulling the ALDL jumper or just leave it at the TDC on the distributor? If not adjusted with a light, you're not advanced enough and you will get the bucking when accelerating, or at higher rpm's.

If you want to reset the ECM, no need to disconnect the battery. Just unplug the barrel connector located near the battery. Its lead comes off the C500.
jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2018 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes used a timing light it’s at 10 degrees. I’ll double check again before disconnecting it.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2018 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ECM resets IAC when drive >35mph.
Until it does so won't idle right and other issues.

setting timing may wipe ECM "learn" functions but most times many also pull battery power for working on the car and that will wipe ECM stored data and will need to reset IAC etc.
PFF
System Bot
jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2018 06:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All fixed thanks all for comments. Turns out I had a little vacuum leak on one of the lines going to the Throttle body and I had to clean the idle control valve and reset it. Then slightly adjust the timing. Runs like a charm now better than before.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock