Car stalling while driving won't start by Atlanta1
Started on: 09-30-2018 02:53 PM
Replies: 21 (344 views)
Last post by: Atlanta1 on 10-25-2018 09:31 AM
Atlanta1

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2018 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Atlanta1Send a Private Message to Atlanta1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys as I was driving my 2.8 fiero i noticed some stalling then the next thing
i knew that the car won't accelerate anymore after I pulled over to the side i could not get
my car too start anymore it will turn but won't start. I have changed a new ICM ,distrubuter cap
and coil. New fuel pump less than a year and just a few hundred miles. Anyone experience this
have any clues what could be wrong ?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2018 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When you crank the starter, does the tachometer go up a little bit or just sit there?
Atlanta1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2018 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Atlanta1Send a Private Message to Atlanta1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the tach moves a little
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2018 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you have some starter fluid? Spray a little in the throttle body to see if the engine runs for a few seconds. If it does, you have a fuel delivery problem....probably a bad fuel pump. You can check fuel pressure by hooking a gauge up to the valve on the fuel rail...it looks like a bicycle tire valve.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 09-30-2018).]

Atlanta1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2018 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Atlanta1Send a Private Message to Atlanta1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I towed my car back to my mechanic and it look like
the Bosch fuel pump
that was installed a few hundred miles ago maybe defective
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2018 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Plenty of gas in the tank? Don't laugh... people get fooled by faulty fuel level senders more often than you'd think.
Atlanta1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2018 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Atlanta1Send a Private Message to Atlanta1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am hoping to get my fuel pump replaced with a ac delco fuel pump this time if
mostly like it is the fuel pump

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2018 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep here is a Fiero tip, very few of us trust the fuel gauge.
When you fill up push the trip, and get gas around 200 miles.
(highway driving) Your mileage may vary.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2018 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43224 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by Atlanta1:

I have changed a new ICM ,distrubuter cap
and coil. New fuel pump less than a year and just a few hundred miles. Anyone experience this
have any clues what could be wrong ?

Could probly go ahead and do the plugs, wires, rotor (if you didn't do it with the cap), and pickup coil too.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 10-03-2018).]

Atlanta1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2018 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Atlanta1Send a Private Message to Atlanta1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes i am going to change out the spark plugs since distributor cap is less than a year
old
Atlanta1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2018 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Atlanta1Send a Private Message to Atlanta1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Atlanta1

404 posts
Member since May 2009
I am having the fuel pump changed out to a ac delco i am informed that the
fuel sending unit is also bad. Any place i can get a fuel sending out unit that
will work in my car? i have a vdo fuel gauge
PFF
System Bot
Atlanta1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2018 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Atlanta1Send a Private Message to Atlanta1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Atlanta1

404 posts
Member since May 2009
I have ordered the universal fuel sending unit 0-90ohms from Summit auto
i hope it will work
Atlanta1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2018 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Atlanta1Send a Private Message to Atlanta1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update guys my mechanic changed out to another new fuel pump and repaired sending unit
it appears there is something with the injectors and the ecm because car still won't start
running more diagnostics this morning
Atlanta1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2018 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Atlanta1Send a Private Message to Atlanta1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
update change out ecm -did not work still starts and cuts off
Changed out new Disturbutor still does not start up.
new fuel pump
look like some issue with spark does any one have any ideas?
andreww

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2018 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for andrewwSend a Private Message to andrewwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Didn't your mechanic test the fuel pressure before changing the pump? Air, fuel and spark, its a pretty simple formula. Not trying to bash, but simply changing out parts on a hunch is ineffective and expensive.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2018 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by andreww:

Didn't your mechanic test the fuel pressure before changing the pump? Air, fuel and spark, its a pretty simple formula. Not trying to bash, but simply changing out parts on a hunch is ineffective and expensive.

Yup....I think I would fire that mechanic.
ltlfrari

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2018 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fuel filter (the inline one under the car) or clogged cat maybe. Pull the O2 sensor out of the pipe and see if it runs any better, if it does, clogged cat.

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

John W. Tilford

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2018 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for John W. TilfordClick Here to visit John W. Tilford's HomePageSend a Private Message to John W. TilfordEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine had similar missing then stalling issues but usually after the engine had been under load, such as long uphill run or summer with AC on. Turned out to be the idle air control. $50 at NAPA, bought 51mm (as I recall) socket to take the old out and put the new in, took the ECM a few starts, runs, stops, repeat to get to know the IAC, problem fixed.
Atlanta1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2018 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Atlanta1Send a Private Message to Atlanta1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well guys it appears to be some wire near the fuse box that was causing the my car to start but not
run. Like I suspected some electrical issue ,but down in the fuse box area. my distributor was rusty but was
not the main cause of not letting the motor run. I will give more updates soon. I appreciate everyones feedback.
we all don't won't to breakdown while we are enjoying driving our cars.
Atlanta1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2018 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Atlanta1Send a Private Message to Atlanta1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
we are not able to get injector pulse. Car starts with fluid then dies off in a few minutes. There is spark coming to
the heads. They are going back to ck fuel pump and fuel pressure
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2018 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you are not getting an injector pulse, its probably the wiring to the ECM, the injector power feed line or the fuse.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot
Atlanta1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2018 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Atlanta1Send a Private Message to Atlanta1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The problem we are having is the the #6 slot wire in the fuse box not getting power to ecm
ecm to distributor power seems fine

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock