Started on: 09-21-2018 08:59 AM
Replies: 10 (195 views)
Last post by: theogre on 09-24-2018 07:36 PM
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2018 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For Fiero owners who live in areas where the four seasons present totally different climatic conditions ; many will store their car this winter. Most up this way keep/use their cars as collectible vehicles and storage becomes an issue. Here in this part of the country car show season is roughly from mid May to the end of Sept. Collector cars may be driven in fall as well but come December it is time for Winter storage.
I keep my Fiero garaged for winter start it occasionally and keep it under a car cover. I put Stabil, a gasoline preservative in the tank and keep it on full or 3/4 full. More serious collectors suggest putting the car on jack stands so the tires are off the ground. This is done to avoid potential flat spots on the tires from sitting. I have not done this but do get some vibrations on the first runs of the season that eventually smooth out.
Looking to share storage techniques with other owners so what's yours?

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Darrelk

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2018 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DarrelkClick Here to visit Darrelk's HomePageSend a Private Message to DarrelkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know that battery tender/maintainers are old hat with collectible cars, however the tech. is changing somewhat with them especially if you are using an AGM style battery. I have been using this year round for awhile now and can confirm it is a lot of bang for the buck....https://www.harborfreight.com/4-amp-fully-automatic-microprocessor-controlled-battery-chargermaintainer-63350.html And, no I am not a big believer in a lot fo the Harbor Freight stuff but this thing covers a lot of bases plus providing the right high frequency conditioning that a lot of batteries need. It literally solved the problem with my wife's T Bird (heavy on the electronics) which is driven infrequently. We had a put a new AGM style battery in that car and the older style tenders were not keeping it conditioned properly. It comes with a nice battery hook up plug in you can leave at the rear of your Fiero letting it pop up through one of the vents. Allows you to easily connect it anytime you are not going to be driving for awhile.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2018 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Basically wash the Fiero, put stabil or other good fuel preservative in the tank, I then fill the tank with non ethanol gas. I put a cheap car cover on it and put it in a garage, which in my case is climate controlled. I put a battery maintainer on it.
I don't usually start it until spring. I believe if you are going to start a car for a short time, if possible, either only run it less than a minute or so, or run it until all the fluids are warmed enough to evaporate condensation, which is longer than many people think. If stored cold this is more important.
I make sure the tires are aired up to a proper level (and I that I know they don't leak).
I don't jack the car up off the ground, I would say its ok to jack them up but I would then block under the suspension arms, not let the suspension hang.
If the storage place is even remotely possible to contain rodents, I put dryer sheets in the cabin, one in the engine bay, one in the trunk, one up front.
I think that's it.

Oh, also winter is project and maintenance season, so I do work on them during this time.
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2018 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Basically wash the Fiero, put stabil or other good fuel preservative in the tank, I then fill the tank with non ethanol gas. I put a cheap car cover on it and put it in a garage, which in my case is climate controlled. I put a battery maintainer on it.
I don't usually start it until spring. .

This is pretty much what I have been doing for the last 8ish years.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2018 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check antifreeze protection level.
Dryer sheets throughout the car, full of gas, cover with a tarp.
Pull battery and store on plastic shelves in the basement.
Let it snow!

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 09-21-2018).]

sledcaddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2018 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sledcaddieSend a Private Message to sledcaddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay. What are the dryer sheets supposed to be good for? Is this an old wives' tale about them repelling mice, or something that is supposed to work?
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2018 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sledcaddie:

Okay. What are the dryer sheets supposed to be good for? Is this an old wives' tale about them repelling mice, or something that is supposed to work?

You won't know until you've tried it. In the past I've used mothballs and that also seemed to keep the mice away.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2018 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keeps rodents out of the car.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2018 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep repel rodents. Dryer sheets have worked for me.Plus they don't smell bad to us.
USMUCL

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2018 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Reference flat spot mitigation, I overfill the tires (overfilled by virtue of the GM recommendations) . . . getting them within a few pounds of their max per the tire manufacturer. Then, I have traditionally put a piece of old carpet under each wheel.

This year, the car will go on tire dollies (aka tire skates) so that I can move the car around the garage a little if I choose. So, the high tire pressure is still in, but the carpet is out.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2018 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tire problems are often related to where you park/store the car for weeks or months.
Never store on dirt/grass and other soft areas because chemicals etc in/on them can attack the tread rubber.
Damage first shows up as cracking between thread that touches the ground. Bad Cracks can let water to rust the steel belt and wick thru cord layers. Rust/Freezing/heating then can wreck the tire but look ok to you.
Concrete is best.

Tires go low or even flat if you don't monitor tire pressure on stored cars. Most "flat spot" problems are cause by low pressure and stored for months.
But Some tires w/ Kevlar and related belting can get "flat spots" even parked overnight in winter. If you have them only "fix" is get another tire design. Most times only a problem to annoy you first mile or two of driving in winter.

Very low or flat tires can let water to corrode the rim bead areas. When that happens the tire(s) won't hold air so you have to dismount the rubber to clean the bead.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay