New to the forum, don't know how to search specific subects by dlh61olds
Started on: 09-20-2018 04:51 PM
Replies: 11 (178 views)
Last post by: fierosound on 09-21-2018 11:08 AM
dlh61olds

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2018 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dlh61oldsSend a Private Message to dlh61oldsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New to the forum. Don't know how to search for specific subjects.

I have a very low mileage (8050) 1986 GT 2.8 that is in excellent condition cosmetically in and out. It does have some issues mechanically that are being addressed. The heater core has been bypassed.The car will very seldom if ever be driven in winter. My approach to restoration has always been to have a car 100 0/0 original. My question is; is the heater core a failure prone item in these cars?? If so, maybe I should leave it alone, What do you folks with more experience think would be best ???

Second issue: check engine light works and I do get the bounce at key turn on. Does the bounce indicate a "selfcheck of the ECM"???

I get no codes except the 12 in diagnostic mode, even after driving a while. Does that indicate all is well or is the unit malfunctioning ????

How do you verify the ECM is functional ???

Would appreciate input from those who have experience with these cars.

------------------
David Holt

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
CJB118

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2018 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CJB118Send a Private Message to CJB118Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Search function is accessed by a button above the postings, look at the row just under "New Posting" and "Post Reply" buttons. Using a search of "subject" only should be sufficient for most queries, narrows down results to the most relevant.

[This message has been edited by CJB118 (edited 09-20-2018).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2018 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dlh61olds:

The heater core has been bypassed
My question is; is the heater core a failure prone item in these cars?? If so, maybe I should leave it alone,

Second issue: check engine light works and I do get the bounce at key turn on. Does the bounce indicate a "selfcheck of the ECM"???
I get no codes except the 12 in diagnostic mode, even after driving a while. Does that indicate all is well or is the unit malfunctioning ????

Code 12 indicates the ECM is working.
No other codes shows that the sensors appear to be in good working order.
The engine would likely not run if there was a serious issue with the ECM.

About keeping your car "original"...
That's fine if the original parts are all still working and in good condition.

We've seen lots of car with its "original paint" all faded and clearcoat flaking off.
Not worth much. "Original paint" only adds value if the paint is in pristine condition.

Replacing a leaking heater core with a new one doesn't make your car "less original".
Anymore than putting on new brake pads and tires will.

It's up to you as to whether to want to replace the heater core.
Yours may have developed a problem because it sat more than it was driven.
Rock Auto has them.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2018 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dlh61olds:

New to the forum. Don't know how to search for specific subjects.

IMO, always select Entire Forum & Archives first... and if that provides "too many" responses, then narrow it down.
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2018 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with Patrick. Before I figured that out it was very frustrating to say the least searching around.
JMTUT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2018 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JMTUTSend a Private Message to JMTUTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tend to use google to search specific fiero subjects. It usually then suggests topics on Pennocks. I can't verify but I think it searches the whole page vs the title only. I have had much better luck this way.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2018 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JMTUT:

I tend to use google... I can't verify but I think it searches the whole page vs the title only.

The PFF search function has the option of looking through the Entire thread (as well as being limited to just the Subject/Username).

The only time I find Google to be superior is if I'm looking for a specific image.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2018 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Google has worked best for me.
The PFF search function requires more exact parameters, and Google usually leads back here anyway.
As with solving any problem, asking the right question is key to the solution.
dlh61olds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2018 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dlh61oldsSend a Private Message to dlh61oldsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanx to all for your replies. Useful info.

Dave
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2018 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can use Google to specifically search this site by adding site:fiero.nl after your search term in the google home page search box, for example

heater core site:fiero.nl

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2018 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the heater core is not a "common issue", as far as more or less than any other GM car of the day. What is more a issue is the piping leading up to the heater core. Like the radiator, it is piped from the back to the front.
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2018 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

The PFF search function has the option of looking through the Entire thread (as well as being limited to just the Subject/Username).

The only time I find Google to be superior is if I'm looking for a specific image.

Agreed. Google is great when you want to find that picture you remember seeing.

eg: water pump bolts site:fiero.nl

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock