2.5 intake manifold gasket sealant? by AsaBergman
Started on: 09-18-2018 09:12 PM
Replies: 5 (179 views)
Last post by: DUARTE76 on 09-23-2018 01:33 PM
AsaBergman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2018 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AsaBergmanSend a Private Message to AsaBergmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello. Working on fixing the high idle(2500) on my 84 Fiero SE I purchased a month ago. Narrowed it down that it must be throttle body and/or intake gasket so both came off today.

I have Fel-Pro intake manifold gasket MS90563, it is a metal gasket covered in a rubber/plastic with raised outlines around the ports. Should I be using a gasket sealer on this gasket or install dry? Service manual doesn't say and other engines I have that use similar gaskets don't need sealer. If so what is the recommended sealant to use? Thanks.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ed55fl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2018 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ed55flSend a Private Message to ed55flEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have a good gasket Fel-Pro I have a 85 Iron Duke used the Fel Pro dry no problems Ed
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2018 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Install dry.
If you use many sealers here then will cause problems.

Should be Blue over Metal.
the small groove between #4 intake and coolant port is a "Wall" to prevent coolant being suck by 4#.

Others are rubber over metal and don't have this "Wall."

Note that torque spec is for Clean Dry hardware and holes except holes get thru and see coolant or oil.
Those bolts need sealer and get a different torque.
If you don't follow this then you can over tighten cause problems like broken bolts or strip holes.
Many others install bolts under torque and cause vacuum again and often soon.

Spec is inch pounds not foot pounds that most people have on torque wrench.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

AsaBergman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2018 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AsaBergmanSend a Private Message to AsaBergmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you both for your responses. I installed the gasket dry and so far it is holding after 36 miles. While I believe I torqued the bolts correctly I did not put any sealer on the bolts so I shall order another gasket in case the current one fails. At least I can drive the Fiero for now.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2018 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AsaBergman:

I installed the gasket dry and so far it is holding after 36 miles.

Did the new gasket(s) resolve the high idle problem?

Originally posted by AsaBergman:

Working on fixing the high idle(2500) on my 84 Fiero SE I purchased a month ago. Narrowed it down that it must be throttle body and/or intake gasket...

DUARTE76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2018 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DUARTE76Send a Private Message to DUARTE76Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Patrick:

Did the new gasket(s) resolve the high idle problem?

+1 Nice question. I'm interested too

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock